Ebay Re: [liturgy-l] Holy Innocents

  • Steve Benner
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2002
      At 11:45 AM 12/28/01 -0500, John Dornheim wrote:
      >Scott R Knitter wrote:
      >
      > > I found Canon Douglas' "Monastic Diurnal Noted" and "Lauds Noted" on
      > eBay and was fortunate to "win" the auction on each; eBay is a good place
      > to check from time to time. It's amazing what pops up. I also obtained
      > the looseleaf chant supplement to the "Monastic Diurnal Revised"; the
      > supplement provides music for antiphons, hymns, and responsories for
      > which music is not provided in the MDR itself. However, in all cases,
      > the community says, not sings, Matins/Lauds these days. They chant
      > Terce, Sext, Vespers, and Compline.
      >
      >Do you search by title or by a subject? If the latter, which? I often look
      >for prayerbooks.

      I regularly do the following searches on eBay "hymn*" (titles only),
      liturg*, breviar*, anglican* and "episcopal* -methodist*" (all searching
      descriptions as well).

      Attempts to search for "prayer book" tend to pull up too much junk unless I
      otherwise qualify it.

      As my checkbook shows, I spend more than enough on eBay stuff...

      Steve Benner
      steve@...
      Oremus -- Daily Prayer, Liturgical Resources, Online Hymnal since 1993
      http://www.oremus.org

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 28, 2010
        Somewhere back the line, someone opined that calling the Holy Innocent "martys in fact but not in will" sounded like "Anglican Midrash." Perhaps it is my current location in an Episcopalian parish on Md's Eastern Shore that sensitizes me to such things,here's todays offering from Keiferbios:

        THE HOLY INNOCENTS (28 DEC NT)

        We read in Matthew 2 that when Jesus was born in Bethlehem, King
        Herod, fearing for his throne, ordered that all the male infants of
        Bethlehem be killed. These children are regarded as martyrs for the
        Gospel -- "martyrs in fact though not in will." Augustine called
        them "buds, killed by the frost of persecution the moment they
        showed themselves." For a discussion of the historical background of
        the episode, visit:

        http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/christia/old_library/infancy2.html

        (NOTE: Ignore what the file says about the ASSUMPTION OF MOSES. I
        hope to update it soon.)

        PRAYER (traditional language)
        We remember this day, O God, the slaughter of the holy
        innocents of Bethlehem by the order of King Herod. Receive, we
        beseech thee, into the arms of thy mercy all innocent victims;
        and by thy great might frustrate the designs of evil tyrants
        and establish thy rule of justice, love, and peace; through
        Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and
        the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

        PRAYER (contemporary language)
        We remember today, O God, the slaughter of the holy innocents
        of Bethlehem by King Herod. Receive, we pray, into the arms of
        your mercy all innocent victims; and by your great might
        frustrate the designs of evil tyrants and establish your rule
        of justice, love, and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord,
        who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God,
        for ever and ever.

        Psalm 124
        Jeremiah 31:15-17
        Revelation 21:1-7
        Matthew 2:13-18 (Inc)

        --
        Bob White
      • Ron Miller
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 28, 2010
          Then, of course, there's the 1662 Collect, continued in use through 1928
          which read
          The Collect.
          O ALMIGHTY God, who out of the mouths of babes and sucklings hast
          ordained strength, and madest infants to glorify thee by their deaths;
          Mortify and kill all vices in us, and so strengthen us by thy grace,
          that by the innocency of our lives, and constancy of our faith even unto
          death, we may glorify thy holy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

          The 1979 revisers thought the older version a bit too blood-thirsty in
          making infants to glorify God by their death fwiw

          On 12/28/2010 11:25 AM, rwhite84@... wrote:
          > Somewhere back the line, someone opined that calling the Holy Innocent "martys in fact but not in will" sounded like "Anglican Midrash." Perhaps it is my current location in an Episcopalian parish on Md's Eastern Shore that sensitizes me to such things,here's todays offering from Keiferbios:
          >
          > THE HOLY INNOCENTS (28 DEC NT)
          >
          > We read in Matthew 2 that when Jesus was born in Bethlehem, King
          > Herod, fearing for his throne, ordered that all the male infants of
          > Bethlehem be killed. These children are regarded as martyrs for the
          > Gospel -- "martyrs in fact though not in will." Augustine called
          > them "buds, killed by the frost of persecution the moment they
          > showed themselves." For a discussion of the historical background of
          > the episode, visit:
          >
          > http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kilroy/christia/old_library/infancy2.html
          >
          > (NOTE: Ignore what the file says about the ASSUMPTION OF MOSES. I
          > hope to update it soon.)
          >

          > PRAYER (traditional language)
          > We remember this day, O God, the slaughter of the holy
          > innocents of Bethlehem by the order of King Herod. Receive, we
          > beseech thee, into the arms of thy mercy all innocent victims;
          > and by thy great might frustrate the designs of evil tyrants
          > and establish thy rule of justice, love, and peace; through
          > Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and
          > the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
          >
          > PRAYER (contemporary language)
          > We remember today, O God, the slaughter of the holy innocents
          > of Bethlehem by King Herod. Receive, we pray, into the arms of
          > your mercy all innocent victims; and by your great might
          > frustrate the designs of evil tyrants and establish your rule
          > of justice, love, and peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord,
          > who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God,
          > for ever and ever.
          >
          > Psalm 124
          > Jeremiah 31:15-17
          > Revelation 21:1-7
          > Matthew 2:13-18 (Inc)
          >
          > --
          > Bob White

          Ron Miller (The Rev. Ronald H.) Baltimore, MD
          The humorist Erma Bombeck had a most appropriate word for us. She said, "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I have not a single bit of talent left and can say, 'I used everything You gave me.'"