What are you reading for Advent?

  • John Dornheim
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
      Besides the daily email from the Plough, I am reading Carol DeChant's
      "Momma's Enchanted Supper and other stories for the long nights of
      Advent" and Barbara Crafton's "Let Every Heart Prepare".

      peace+
      John Dornheim
    • JSFMACLJR@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
        I am (re)reading Fr. Raymond Brown's short book of essays, "An Adult Christ
        at Christmas," and reading it prayerfully and carefully. While not as
        scholarly as his "The Birth of the Messiah," it certainly is well written and
        easy to digest for those of us on the go with little time for "serious"
        reading.

        In Christ
        Sandford MacLean

      • Pastor Robert White
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
          On 4 Dec 2001, at 11:34, John Dornheim wrote:

          > Besides the daily email from the Plough,

          It's worth buying the book, the snips in the daily email are just a
          brief piece of some quite substantial daily readings.

          Bob

          + + + + + + + + + + +
          If he have faith, the believer cannot be restrained.
          He betrays himself. He breaks out.
          He confesses and teaches this gospel
          to the people at the risk of life itself.
          -------Martin Luther

          Pastor Robert White
          Christ the Redeemer Lutheran Church (ELCA)
          863 Silliman Ave.
          Erie, PA USA 16511-2060
          814-899-3264
          email: xrredeem@...
        • Fr. Gary
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
            Gentlepeople:

            what is the Plough?

            I Googled it up (http://www.theseason.org/plough.htm)
            but it doesn't seem something that would
            attract...

            I don't seem to be at the right area...

            faith,
            Fr Gary D McConnell, rector
            Trinity Parish Church (Episcopal)
            Searcy, AR, USA
            tpce@...

            Pastor Robert White wrote:

            > On 4 Dec 2001, at 11:34, John Dornheim wrote:
            >
            > > Besides the daily email from the Plough,
            >
            > It's worth buying the book, the snips in the daily email are just a
            > brief piece of some quite substantial daily readings.
            >
            > Bob
            >
            > + + + + + + + + + + +
            > If he have faith, the believer cannot be restrained.
            > He betrays himself. He breaks out.
            > He confesses and teaches this gospel
            > to the people at the risk of life itself.
            > -------Martin Luther
            >
            > Pastor Robert White
            > Christ the Redeemer Lutheran Church (ELCA)
            > 863 Silliman Ave.
            > Erie, PA USA 16511-2060
            > 814-899-3264
            > email: xrredeem@...

            > To write to the owners/moderators, please send an email to:

          • Pastor Robert White
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
              On 4 Dec 2001, at 22:48, Fr. Gary wrote:

              > Gentlepeople:
              >
              > what is the Plough?

              try this address:

              http://service.plough.com/wl/subscribe.htm

              but I'd still recommend buying the book.

              BTW-Plough Publishing House is the publication arm of the
              Brudderhof Society, a Christian communal movement with roots in
              the early 20th century.

              Bob

              Bob

              + + + + + + + + + + +
              Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference,
              which is, at least, half infidelity.
              ------Edmund Burke

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
                It's the publishing house of the Hutterite Brethren. You were looking at
                the wrong plough.

                Try http://www.plough.com/

                and

                http://www.bruderhof.org/

                Sorry for the confusion.

                peace+
                John Dornheim
              • Gregory Holmes Singleton
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2001
                  What am I reading for Advent?

                  I am reading what I have read for every Advent for more than three decades:
                  term papers, finals and M.A. theses.

                  BAH! HUMBUG!

                  But there is relief from the Academe overshadowing Advent.

                  Others say "Thank God for Friday." I say "Deo Gratias for Sunday!" On that
                  day I put aside term papers, finals, and M.A. theses. On that day people
                  read to me and preach to me and sing to me those things that bring me back
                  to Advent. And when I've been homiletically fed by the Rev. Dr. Frank Senn,
                  I head downtown for Vespers at Holy Name Cathedral, where I get fed again
                  with that wonderful office. Following vespers, Jeannine and I often have an
                  opportunity to break bread with listmember Pr. Bob Burke and his wife
                  Margaret, where I am fed by wonderful conversation.

                  Pax et curmudgeum,

                  Greg

                  Gregory Holmes Singleton, Ph.D.
                  Professor, Chair and Resident Old Curmudgeon
                  Department of History, Northeastern Illinois University
                  Chicago, IL 60625 (773)442-5606 fax (773)442-5620
                  G-Singleton@... http://www.neiu.edu/~ghsingle/