Re: [liturgy-l] Printed Inserts [was re-collecting the presider...]

  • M. Thannisch
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2001
      I've often thought we should get rid of the inserts wiht lessons and
      jimporve the reading. It is so true that hearing the word will bring things
      to light that you may have missed in reading it.

      Shalom in Yeshua ha Moshiach

      Michael Joe Thannisch
      mjthan@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
        In a message dated 11/1/01 9:42:44 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
        mjthan@... writes:

        > I've often thought we should get rid of the inserts wiht lessons and
        > jimporve the reading. It is so true that hearing the word will bring things
        > to light that you may have missed in reading it.

        Having come from evangelicalism into the Lutheran church, I noticed
        immediately and with nearly universal corroboration, that Lutherans do not
        bring their Bibles to worship. I found this almost universal among churches
        associated with evangelicalism.

        Once a worship committee questioned my assertion that we delete the worship
        inserts, with the rejoinder that the people are "literary" and needed to have
        the text in front of them. The idea of bringing one's Bible to worship in
        order to have the text before them was a completely alien concept.

        I suppose that the proliferation of translations has had some influence here,
        for at least a uniformity of some sort is offered by the insert.

        Show them the expense involved! My last congregation was spending something
        approaching $500/year on Augsburg/Fortress bulletin covers and Celebrate
        inserts. We started producing our own, using a book of reproducible images
        for the cover. The expense were reduced to paper and toner used.

        David L. Rogers, STS
        Indianapolis, IN
        CyrilNovaJ@...

      • John Dornheim
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
          None of my congregations have had pew bibles although we have always
          printed the lessons and the prayers. I do so with the hope that they
          would be referenced during the week but wonder how true that was. When
          we come to worship, the word needs to be proclaimed and heard. We need
          not read along.

          peace+
          John Dornheim
        • fcsenn@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
            In a message dated 11/2/2001 12:35:08 PM Central Standard Time,
            CyrilNovaJ@... writes:

            > Having come from evangelicalism into the Lutheran church, I noticed
            > immediately and with nearly universal corroboration, that Lutherans do not
            > bring their Bibles to worship. I found this almost universal among churches
            > associated with evangelicalism.
            >
            > Once a worship committee questioned my assertion that we delete the worship
            > inserts, with the rejoinder that the people are "literary" and needed to
            > have
            > the text in front of them. The idea of bringing one's Bible to worship in
            > order to have the text before them was a completely alien concept.

            People might bring their Bibles to a Bible-study class. But the best thing
            in worship is to have readers who can read well and for the people to listen.
            I have it on good authority that faith comes from what is heard, not from
            what is read.

            FCSenn

          • John Dornheim
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2001
              There are times when my expereinces are not helpful as my congregations
              have not been shining examples of worship practice. I do, however, find
              interesting in our This Far By Faith hymnal (for the African American
              community) the prayers for illumination for the lectors. I think that it
              helps the congregation to focus in on the word which is being
              proclaimed.
              OTOH, yesterday at mass for All Saints Day, the lector "took" the
              reading from Ephesians but, as best I can tell, never put it back!

              peace+
              John Dornheim