Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Concelebration

  • Chris McConnell
    Message 1 of 167 , Oct 2, 2001
      At 01:41 PM 10/2/01 +0000, fbauerschmidt@... wrote:

      >These days, outside of some religious communities and special
      >occasions like ordinations, it is pretty hard to muster a phalanx of
      >Catholic priests.

      Another of those special occasions, however, is the Chrism Mass, which is
      not without its problems in this regard.

      Chris McC

      Message 167 of 167 , Mar 7, 2012
        Concelebration in the ancient church entailed the presbyters surrounding the bishop at a pontifical celebration.  It did not include the presbyters being a speech choir or dividing portions of the eucharistic prayer, as become common just after Vatican II.  Solemn high mass is simply the ancient form of celebration with deacon, subdeacon, and other ministers carrying out various ministerial roles.  Low mass meant a single priest with a server.  There could be concelebration at a solemn mass, as we see in some of the Ordines Romani.  But in antiquity that was not because presbyters took the diaconal roles.  It was became the presbyteral college attended the bishop at his celebration.

        Frank C. Senn