"Christian Flag?"

  • CyrilNovaJ@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2001
      Can someone on the list suggest a resource that presents the origin and
      history of the current "Christian Flag", so often seen in the front of
      sanctuaries in tandem with the American Flag?

      Thanks,

      David L. Rogers
      CyrilNovaJ@...

    • Art Hebbeler
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2001

        See also: http://www.geocities.com/his_eyes/christian_flag.html,
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/5037/Miscellaneous/ChristianFlag.html,
        and http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=003sYQ

        From:http://www.ldschurch.net/f/brown/Christian_Flag.html

        I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and to the Savior for whose
        kingdom it stands. One brotherhood, uniting all mankind, in service and love.

        The Christian flag is the only free flag in the world. It is different from
        every other flag, religious or secular, ancient or modern. It is
        uncontrolled, independent, and universal. Unlike all national flags and all
        denominational flags of various churches, it has no earthly bonds or
        allegiances. Christ and Christ alone is its Master. Without
        limitation, it exists for all the world's people regardless of sex, race,
        national boundary, economic condition, affluence, or poverty, politics,
        slavery or freedom. It cannot be restricted by any nation or denomination.
        This unique, universal quality makes it like the air we breathe, belonging
        to all and yet owned by none. For those who want it, wherever and whenever,
        it is freely theirs.

        The Christian flag is one of the oldest unchanged flags in the world. It
        was conceived at Brighton Chapel, Coney Island, New York, Sunday, September
        26, 1897, and was presented in its present form the following Sunday by its
        originator. Call it chance, or providence, serendipity, or the plan of God,
        on that day, the Christian flag was born.

        The white on the flag represents purity and peace. The blue stands for
        faithfulness, truth, and sincerity. Red, of course, is the color of
        sacrifice, in this case calling to mind the blood shed by Christ on
        Calvary, represented by the cross.

        The History of the Christian Flag:

        The featured speaker failed to arrive for the Sunday School Rally in a
        Coney Island Chapel in 1897, and - the Christian flag
        was born:

        Like so many of the great and memorable things of history, a Christian flag
        was not contemplated or predesigned. A fortuitous happenstance gave it
        birth. The Sunday School was holding an old-fashioned Rally Day of the kind
        which was so much the custom in years past. For this occasion, a favored
        speaker had been engaged, but for some reason undisclosed did not show up.
        Superintendent Charles C. Overton, in the emergency, called upon his own
        gifts of innovation to fill in the time. An American flag lay there across
        the pulpit. Overton addressed his words to the flag and its symbolism. Then
        like a flash came the thought, why not also a Christian flag? His impromptu
        but constructive ad-libbing was to produce a verbal picture of what is
        today, and for the past one hundred years has been, the Christian flag.

        Today the Christian flag is one of the oldest unchanged flags in the world.
        It was conceived at Brighton Chapel, Coney Island, New York, Sunday,
        September 26, 1897, and was presented in its present form the following
        Sunday by its originator. Call it chance, or providence, serendipity, or
        the plan of God. On that day, the Christian flag was born.
      • Simon Kershaw
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2001
          Art Hebbeler wrote:

          > one of the oldest unchanged flags in the world.
          > It was conceived
          <snip>
          > September 26, 1897,

          Hmmm. Methinks that only an American could write this! Old? 1897?

          ROTFL

          --
          Simon Kershaw
          simon@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2001
            At 01:25 PM 9/27/2001 +0100, you wrote:
            >Art Hebbeler wrote:
            >
            > > one of the oldest unchanged flags in the world.
            > > It was conceived
            ><snip>
            > > September 26, 1897,
            >
            >Hmmm. Methinks that only an American could write this! Old? 1897?
            >
            >ROTFL
            >
            >--
            >Simon Kershaw

            Simon:

            I'm just the search and report person...I don't write this stuff.... ;-)

            Art