help with a hymn

  • Cliff Reinhardt by way of André Laverg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
      Peace, friends.

      The following came off another list. Replies might be directed to Cliff
      Reinhardt at <cliffreinhardt@...>.

      -----------

      Hi, friends.

      I hope someone out there can help me with the Latin text of a hymn. I
      have only a couple of photocopied pages from a missal whose texts appear
      to be entirely in Latin, although rubrics are given in English. It's a
      hymn specified for Whit Sunday (Pentecost), at Lauds.

      It begins:

      Beata nobis gaudia
      Annis reduxit orbita
      Cum Spiritus Paraclitus
      Illapsus est Apostolis.

      I would appreciate any information you can offer.

      Cliff Reinhardt
      Pastor, Augustana, Vancouver
      cliffreinhardt@...

      ------------
    • Noel Stoutenburg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
        "Cliff Reinhardt (by way of André Lavergne )" wrote:

        > It begins:
        >
        > Beata nobis gaudia
        > Annis reduxit orbita
        > Cum Spiritus Paraclitus
        > Illapsus est Apostolis.

        2) Ignis vibrante lumine
        Linguae figuram detulit,
        Verbis ut essent proflui,
        Et caritate fervidi.

        3) Linguis loquuntur omnium,
        Turbae pavent Gentilium:
        Musto madere deputant
        Quos Spiritus repleverat

        4) Patrata sunt haec mystice
        Paschae peracto tempore,
        Sacro dierum circulo
        Quo lege fit remissio.

        5) Te munc, Deus piissime
        Vultu precamur cernuo,
        Illapsa nobis caelitus
        Largire dona Spiritus.

        6) Dudum sacrata pectora
        Tua replesti gratia:
        Dimitte nostra crimina,
        Et da quieta tempora

        7) Deo Patri sit Gloria
        Et filio, qui moruis
        Surrexit, ac Paraclito,
        In saeculorum saecula Amen.

        Followed by the proper versicle:

        V: Repleti sunt omnes Spiritu Sancto, Alleluia
        R: Et coeperunt loqui, alleluia.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
          There are so much liturgical material on the Web now that I find you can
          just type the first line and find a text in the first pass.

          I turned up this translation:

          Words: Author unknown (Beata nobis gaudia Anni reduxit orbita); translated
          from Latin to English by John Ellerton in Church Hymns, 1871.

          Music: ³Glebe Field,² John B. Dykes, 1874 (MIDI, score).

          Joy! because the circling year
          Brings our day of blessings here;
          Day when first the light divine
          On the Church began to shine.

          Like to quivering tongues of flame
          Unto each the Spirit came,
          Tongues, that earth might hear their call,
          Fire, that love might burn in all.

          So the wondrous works of God
          Wondrously were spread abroad;
          Every tribe¹s familiar tone