Re: [liturgy-l] The liturgy of the hours

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 3, 2013
      On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Douglas Cowling
      <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:
      > They really do some very interesting things that we can learn from. Just
      > listened to today's Vespers which was led by a fine young tenor (they
      > usually have a quartet or octet).

      The fine young tenor did very well indeed, but I think these two are
      my favorites of the Notre-Dame cantors so far. The baritone sounds and
      looks like a French Josh Groban....

      http://youtu.be/wVK2MGhuT4o

      (The cantors are heard after a brief organ bit.) I also like the
      lector's delivery of the short reading.

      Apparently they have the officiant speak the antiphon before all sing
      the Magnificat (almost always in the Royal Tone).

      --
      Scott R. Knitter
      Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 5, 2013
        It is not a requirement in any Lutheran Church that I am aware of.  However, the Rule of the Society of the Holy Trinity, which is a pastoral oratory and an inter-Lutheran ministerium, lays on its members the obligation to pray the Daily Prayer of the Church and to offer the prayer offices as often as possible in the places where one serves. This is understood to be primarily Matins and Vespers, although Compline is increasingly made available in parishes.  In my former congregation (from which I retired) we prayed Compline every Sunday night at 8:30 p.m. Most members of STS (that's Societas Trinitatis Sanctae) use the breviary entitled For All the Saints, published in four volumes by the American Lutheran Publicity Bureau.  It is based on the offices in LBW and uses the 2-year daily lectionary shared in the LBW and the 1979 BCP.  It also follows the 30/31-day course of psalmody in the BCP.

        Frank C. Senn, STS