Re: [liturgy-l] The liturgy of the hours

  • Michael Thannisch
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 30, 2013
      Cof E were.  I am not sure if that is true today.

      Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach

      +Mar Michael Abportus
      Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham
      http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/
      http://patriotstatesman.com/
      http://laportemorganspointshoreacresnews.webs.com/
      http://santoeastcemeteryassociation.webs.com/
      204 Sylvan Ave.
      La Porte, TX 77571
      281-867-9081 (home)
      281-867-0335 (office)
      832-266-8153 (mobile)
      281-867-0576 (fax)

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 3 10:35 AM
        On 8/30/13 1:53 PM, "William Renwick" <renwick@...>
        wrote:

        >In the case that there is some obligation, I am just wondering whether it
        >is an obligation that is generally respected or ignored.

        The prayer books from 1549 to 1662 assume that Matins and Evensong will be
        said publically by the priest in every parish church. There is a charming
        early rubric somewhere which enjoins the ringing of the bell so that lay
        people, unable to attend, can lift up their hearts in the midst of their
        daily task. Collegiate and cathedral churches maintained the
        pre-Reformation custom of corporate recitation of the offices.

        I suspect that the public recitation of the offices was commonplace in
        parish churches until the Puritan iconoclasm when a strong tradition of
        private recitation appeared for both clerical and lay people who wanted to
        subvert the Puritan order. That voluntary devotion continues to this day.
        At the Restoration, the cathedral and collegiate offices were restored,
        but the parish office seems to have died until Tractarians began to
        restore the practice. Today, with online offices, there are probably more
        people saying the Liturgy of the Hours than ever before.

        At the Counter-Reformation, Catholic clerics were bound to recite all
        seven offices in community or alone if necessary. The corporate
        recitation of the office was dispensed for teaching or active orders like
        the Jesuits who did not have choir obligations. This gradually became the
        pattern for all parish priests. In practice, priests said all of the first
        five offices continuously early in the morning before their day began,
        leaving Vespers and Compline until just before dinner. It was not
        uncommon for priests to "catch up" on their offices during other services
        such as public recitation of the rosary or while waiting for penitents in
        the confessional.

        That was the norm at the beginning of the Second Vatican Council.
        Sharp-eyed progressives used to scan the rows of bishops during the
        opening mass each day to see which bishops were engaged in the mass and
        which were saying their offices during the mass. It became a reliable
        litmus test of a bishop's sympathy with the liturgical movement.

        In the post-conciliar commission, it was recognized that the full
        recitation of the office was only possibly in contemplative monastic
        communities like the Benedictines. Parish priests were encouraged create a
        workable pattern of morning, noon-day,and evening prayers which
        complemented their workday.

      • wx5116
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 3 10:57 AM
          I was particularly interested in your final sentence, which begs the suggestion that the parish priest might want to work out such a pattern that also attracts the laity.  If it can be done in (some) anglican churches, with fewer numbers of laity, could it not also be done in the Catholic world?

          Arlington VA USA
          dlewisaao@...

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 3 11:05 AM
            On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM, <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

            > I was particularly interested in your final sentence, which begs the suggestion that the parish priest might want to work out such a pattern that also attracts the laity. If it can be done in (some) anglican churches, with fewer numbers of laity, could it not also be done in the Catholic world?

            Quite a large group participates in the daily Evening Prayer at Holy
            Name Cathedral, at 5 p.m. before the 5:15 Mass. They pray it from the
            Daughters of St. Paul edition of Christian Prayer, with copies
            provided. Two officiants lead, with one being the main one who
            announces page numbers and what is to be said. Each officiant leads
            his or her side of the congregation. The people sit in the section of
            pews closest to the sanctuary. This allows those arriving for Mass
            (but not participating in Evening Prayer) to take places in the pews
            farther back.

            I've attended Evening Prayer a few times, and there's an average of
            25-30 attending, I'd say. Attendance at Mass afterward numbers 100+.
            There's also a daily Daytime Prayer before the midday Mass. This
            finishes in time for the Angelus at noon; Mass starts at 12:10.

            --
            Scott R. Knitter
            Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 3 11:18 AM

              If it can be done in (some) anglican churches, with fewer numbers of laity, could it not also be done in the Catholic world?

              I've certainly encountered it at Catholic conference and at retreats and informal gatherings.

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 3 11:23 AM
                On 9/3/13 2:05 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scottknitter@...> wrote:

                >I've attended Evening Prayer a few times, and there's an average of
                >25-30 attending, I'd say. Attendance at Mass afterward numbers 100+.
                >There's also a daily Daytime Prayer before the midday Mass. This
                >finishes in time for the Angelus at noon; Mass starts at 12:10.

                The Fraternité de Jerusalem has made the daily sung vernacular office a
                fixture in many Catholic parishes in France. The webcasts from St.
                Gervais in Paris give you an idea of the musical style: the musical
                leadership is in the hands of the laity.

                Perhaps the finest vernacular office is at Notre-Dame. Also webcast on
                RKO. There really is nothing like it in English.

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 3 12:17 PM
                  On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Douglas Cowling
                  <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:
                  > Perhaps the finest vernacular office is at Notre-Dame. Also webcast on
                  > RKO. There really is nothing like it in English.

                  Close! KTO. :)

                  http://www.ktotv.com/videos-chretiennes/emissions/vepres-a-notre-dame.html

                  You can download the people's worship aid / bulletin / service sheet
                  at the link along the right-hand side of this page, where there's an
                  Acrobat icon and some text starting with "Téléchargez...":
                  http://www.notredamedeparis.fr/index.php?page=calendrier&date=2013-9-3&id_rubrique=2

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 3 12:39 PM
                    On 9/3/13 3:17 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scottknitter@...> wrote:

                    >>Perhaps the finest vernacular office is at Notre-Dame. Also webcast on
                    >>RKO. There really is nothing like it in English.
                    >
                    >Close! KTO. :)
                    >
                    >http://www.ktotv.com/videos-chretiennes/emissions/vepres-a-notre-dame.html

                    They really do some very interesting things that we can learn from. Just
                    listened to today's Vespers which was led by a fine young tenor (they
                    usually have a quartet or octet). The two psalms were sung to Gelineau
                    chant responsively with the congregation, and after each psalm the
                    organist segued into two 17th century versets -- perfect bookends for the
                    chanting. A lovely blending of traditions.

                    Alas the free-standing altar looks like a crated motorcycle has just been
                    delivered.

                  • William Renwick
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 3 1:54 PM
                      Thanks for all the interesting responses!

                      Doug said:
                      > In the post-conciliar commission, it was recognized that the full
                      > recitation of the office was only possibly in contemplative monastic
                      > communities like the Benedictines. Parish priests were encouraged create a
                      > workable pattern of morning, noon-day,and evening prayers which
                      > complemented their workday.

                      Does this mean that RC priests no longer have an obligation in this regard? Is there a "rule" or "canon law" somewhere regarding this?

                      thanks

                      William Renwick
                      renwick@...
                      School of the Arts
                      McMaster University
                      Hamilton Ontario CANADA L8S 4M2 http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/wr.htm
                    • James O'Regan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 3 3:12 PM
                        Canon 276.3 (1983): priests and transitional deacons are "obliged' to do liturgy of the hours.

                        All the best,

                        James O'Regan PhD
                        oregan@...

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 3 3:58 PM
                          thanks for the info! between this canon and Doug's suggestion that Priests don' have enough time nowadays--do you think that (none-a few-some-most) priests are turning a blind eye to the canon, as it were? I am not trying cast aspersions on priests, I am just curious about what actually is going on these days.

                          thanks

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 3 4:00 PM
                            You're right, Doug. One thing to learn might be how to have a public
                            Vespers that requires no verbose instructions (none, in fact): just a
                            single-sheet handout with the essentials for those who want to
                            participate; an organist who is expert at leading it all (and the
                            organist really is the leader here); and good, confident cantors. Any
                            cathedral should be able to build this, but of course it's not without
                            work (to develop the printed matter) and a committed rota of cantors,
                            organists, and a reliable officiant. I guess they have a priest
                            because he censes the altar? Perhaps a lay officiant would simply
                            throw incense on the brazier and not cense the altar. Not sure.

                            At Holy Name Cathedral here in Chicago, it's a bit of a trick to lead
                            the people through Evening Prayer on feasts, when there's a lot of
                            flipping back and forth in the breviary. There are a lot of verbal
                            rubrics: the page number is given for the first psalm, and the
                            antiphon recited, then "Together..." and all repeat the antiphon. Then
                            "Starting with this side..." and the first verse begins. When time
                            comes for the Gloria Patri, the officiant says, "Together..." etc.
                            Lots of guidance necessary like that. It does familiarize people with
                            the Christian Prayer breviary and perhaps gets some of them interested
                            in learning to pray it on their own. But as a service one can drop in
                            for, as a visitor perhaps, it's bewildering. Following the service on
                            a single sheet is so much easier. Once the sheets are created, that
                            work is done. Notre-Dame publishes theirs in a set of really expensive
                            but beautifully done books:
                            http://www.notredamedeparis.fr/spip.php?article1142

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 3 4:19 PM
                              On 9/3/13 7:00 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scottknitter@...> wrote:

                              >Any cathedral should be able to build this, but of course it's not without
                              >work (to develop the printed matter) and a committed rota of cantors,
                              >organists, and a reliable officiant.

                              The Maitrise of Notre-Dame has a choir school for boys and girls as well a
                              what appears to be a kind of undergraduate program in sacred music: I
                              suspect its probably a residence for music students in Paris who exchange
                              daily services for accomodation. The quality of singing is exceptional
                              especially when they have a quartet -- they often sing a Reniassicance
                              Magnificat in Latin.

                              And there must be a whole staff of organists who handle that organ
                              expertly. I'm very impressed at the very subtle way that they weave
                              together exceptional improvisations and classical repertoire with a
                              vernacular participatory liturgy. As I said, nothing like it on this side
                              of the Atlantic.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 3 4:21 PM
                                From: James O'Regan <oregan@...>m>

                                Canon 276.3 (1983): priests and transitional deacons are "obliged' to do liturgy of the hours

                                How is this managed practically?

                              • wx5116
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 3 5:30 PM
                                  If it is important, it will get done.  And an example will be set for the faithful, if done right.

                                  Somehow I think that prayer is important.

                                  Arlington VA USA
                                  dlewisaao@...

                                  "James O'Regan" <oregan@...> wrote:
                                  > Canon 276.3 (1983): priests and transitional deacons are "obliged' to do liturgy of the hours.
                                  >
                                  > All the best,
                                  >
                                  > James O'Regan PhD
                                  > oregan@...
                                  >

                                  > On 2013-09-03, at 4:54 PM, William Renwick wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Thanks for all the interesting responses!
                                  > >
                                  > > Doug said:
                                  > > > In the post-conciliar commission, it was recognized that the full
                                  > > > recitation of the office was only possibly in contemplative monastic
                                  > > > communities like the Benedictines. Parish priests were encouraged create a
                                  > > > workable pattern of morning, noon-day,and evening prayers which
                                  > > > complemented their workday.
                                  > >
                                  > > Does this mean that RC priests no longer have an obligation in this regard? Is there a "rule" or "canon law" somewhere regarding this?
                                  > >
                                  > > thanks
                                  > >
                                  > > William Renwick
                                  > > renwick@...
                                  > > School of the Arts
                                  > > McMaster University
                                  > > Hamilton Ontario CANADA L8S 4M2 http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/wr.htm

                                  William Renwick
                                  renwick@...
                                  School of the Arts
                                  McMaster University
                                  Hamilton Ontario CANADA L8S 4M2         http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/wr.htm

                                  <*> Your email settings:
                                      Individual Email | Traditional

                                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                                  <*> To change settings via email:
                                      liturgy-l-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                      liturgy-l-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                • wx5116
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 3 6:25 PM
                                    In most places the morning, midday or evening office could be done without music.  Or incense.  If done simply, really with no verbal instructions required (other than announcing the Psalms) and with the base liturgy laid out in writing including rubrics, people are not confused and do participate.  That's been my experience.

                                    Arlington VA USA
                                    dlewisaao@...

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 3 6:36 PM
                                      On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:25 PM, <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

                                      > In most places the morning, midday or evening office could be done without music. Or incense. If done simply, really with no verbal instructions required (other than announcing the Psalms) and with the base liturgy laid out in writing including rubrics, people are not confused and do participate. That's been my experience.

                                      The BCP 1979 Office can be done without announcements, mainly because
                                      it contains the full psalter and we don't have a canticle among the
                                      psalms. In our parish, there's a one-page set of instructions for
                                      visitors on how to find the service and how to use the information on
                                      the hymn board, which gives the psalms and canticles to be used.

                                      Some officiants insist on never giving any instructions; I don't feel
                                      right about leaving anyone behind, so if I think anyone needs
                                      guidance, I'll announce page numbers. This is less necessary at
                                      Evening Prayer than Morning Prayer; the larger set of canticles used
                                      at MP makes for more potential confusion for first-timers.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 3 8:27 PM
                                        <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:
                                        > They really do some very interesting things that we can learn from. Just
                                        > listened to today's Vespers which was led by a fine young tenor (they
                                        > usually have a quartet or octet).

                                        The fine young tenor did very well indeed, but I think these two are
                                        my favorites of the Notre-Dame cantors so far. The baritone sounds and
                                        looks like a French Josh Groban....

                                        http://youtu.be/wVK2MGhuT4o

                                        (The cantors are heard after a brief organ bit.) I also like the
                                        lector's delivery of the short reading.

                                        Apparently they have the officiant speak the antiphon before all sing
                                        the Magnificat (almost always in the Royal Tone).

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 5 7:19 AM
                                          It is not a requirement in any Lutheran Church that I am aware of.  However, the Rule of the Society of the Holy Trinity, which is a pastoral oratory and an inter-Lutheran ministerium, lays on its members the obligation to pray the Daily Prayer of the Church and to offer the prayer offices as often as possible in the places where one serves. This is understood to be primarily Matins and Vespers, although Compline is increasingly made available in parishes.  In my former congregation (from which I retired) we prayed Compline every Sunday night at 8:30 p.m. Most members of STS (that's Societas Trinitatis Sanctae) use the breviary entitled For All the Saints, published in four volumes by the American Lutheran Publicity Bureau.  It is based on the offices in LBW and uses the 2-year daily lectionary shared in the LBW and the 1979 BCP.  It also follows the 30/31-day course of psalmody in the BCP.

                                          Frank C. Senn, STS