Re: [liturgy-l] Tablet: "Lapsed Catholics can join ordinariate" - 12 July 2013

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
      From: David Waller <d.a.waller@...>
      Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] Tablet: "Lapsed Catholics can join ordinariate" - 12 July 2013

      It can and it does. They fall under the category "those who receive the sacraments of initiation with the ordinariate."

      So a non-Christian with no church connection could ask for initiation into the Catholic Church in an ordinariate parish without any contact or obligation to the wider Latin rite. The article makes it sound like a specific concession to requests for universal access.

    • David Waller
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
        Yes. A non christian can be catechised and receive the sacraments of initiation in the Ordinariate and, in so doing, they become full catholics of the Latin rite under the jurisdiction of the ordinariate.

        I am a member of the governing council of the UK ordinariate and, believe me, I would never have joined the ordinariate if it did not have this freedom to evangelise.

        The new complimentary norm is a clarification regarding a specific context. It covers cases where someone has been baptised (may also have made 1st communion) and then lapsed. If they then return to practising their faith via the ordinariate, they can complete their initiation (confirmation) in the ordinariate and thus come under its jurisdiction.

        Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
          From: David Waller <d.a.waller@...>

          The new complimentary norm is a clarification regarding a specific context. It covers cases where someone has been baptised (may also have made 1st communion) and then lapsed. If they then return to practising their faith via the ordinariate, they can complete their initiation (confirmation) in the ordinariate and thus come under its jurisdiction.

          Thanks. That makes a lot more sense in the post-Vatican II ecclesiology.

        • David Waller
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
            That is the key point. The Ordinariate could never have happened in the form it has without the Communion Ecclesiology of Vatican 2 and it's development by Joseph Ratzinger.

            It arises from a situation when a group of Christians who already share a degree of communion through baptism, now ask to come into full communion on the basis that they accept the faith as set forth in the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the  accept the petrine ministry. Pope Benedict, I think, believed that in such circumstances he had an obligation as the successor of Peter to enable that fullness of communion.

            Not everyone will want what was offered, although those who have accepted the offer do not appear to regret doing so. But it really is rooted in Vatican 2 ecclesiology.

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
              From: David Waller <d.a.waller@...>

              It arises from a situation when a group of Christians who already share a degree of communion through baptism, now ask to come into full communion on the basis that they accept the faith as set forth in the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the  accept the petrine ministry.

              On a practical level, what percentage of candidates to the ordinariate are non-Anglican?

            • David Waller
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                I don't know off hand and it will certainly be different in each ordinariate. In the UK most will have worshipped as Anglicans but some will have earlier backgrounds in other denominations. There have been a few unbaptised converts, but it is very early days and it has taken time to get established places and times for worship, find housing and stipends for priests etc. I am confident that area will grow. There are also lots of examples of diocesan catholics opting to worship with the ordinariate although they cannot join it. My own group worships in a church which is also used by a diocesan parish and a community of catholics of the Syro Malabar Rite. And, as the Syro Malabar rite is only offered fortnightly, they often join the ordinariate for mass on the other weeks! On the ground it is quite exciting; it is distinct and yet fully part of the wider catholic community.

                I'm happy to share more - but cautious this may be straying off topic for this list?

                I guess it is going to take some years before we can really evaluate it all.

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                  .... give it time. It's early yet.

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                    From: David Waller <d.a.waller@...>

                    There are also lots of examples of diocesan catholics opting to worship with the ordinariate although they cannot join it.

                    How can you be a communicant in a rite and not be allowed to "join" (whatever that means)?  Why is there a prohibition and how is it enforced? Denying people communion?

                  • David Waller
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                      Sorry, maybe I haven't explained this very well. They can communicate and do; because all those in communion with the Bishop of Rome are in communion with each other. Eastern Rites and Latin Rite can receive from each other. Ordinariate is a use within the Latin Rite.

                      The business about joining is about jurisdiction. Members of the Ordinariate are under the Jurisdiction of their Ordinary. Members of the local diocese are under the jurisdiction of the Diocesan Bishop. The Polish mission has its own jurisdiction. This determines who grants faculties, Marriage matters, admits candidates to holy orders etc. But all those jurisdictions are part of one church and in full communion with one another.

                      Hope that clarifies things?

                      Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
                      There are also lots of examples of diocesan catholics opting to worship with the ordinariate although they cannot join it.

                      How can you be a communicant in a rite and not be allowed to "join" (whatever that means)?  Why is there a prohibition and how is it enforced? Denying people communion?

                    • wx5116

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                          From: David Waller <d.a.waller@...>

                          This determines who grants faculties,

                          Have any ordinate priests been given concessions to celebrate mass outside their parishes?

                        • David Waller
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                            All of them.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                              Can they celebrate NO or EF masses, or are they only allowed "Ordinariate" Masses?

                              From: David Waller <d.a.waller@...>

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                                From: David Waller <d.a.waller@...>
                                To: Liturgy-Well-Done <liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com>

                                All of them.

                                And can their wives accompany them?  I'm curious about the social dynamics.

                              • David Waller
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                                  They can celebrate the OF and EF of the Roman Rite and the "Ordinariate Liturgy" which is still being refined and will use Elizabethan English and contain some Anglican texts.

                                  From: David Waller <d.a.waller@...>

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                                    Doug,

                                    I'm not sure what you mean by this. In England there are more married diocesan priests than married ordinariate priests. They are married former Anglicans ordained as diocesan priests since the 90s.

                                    It was not the dispensation from celibacy which was new in Anglicanorum Coetibus, it was the concept of groups coming together and a jurisdiction retaining elements of Anglican patrimony. The Communion Ecclesiology stuff etc I mentioned in an earlier post.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                                        I can't comment on the situation in the US.  But realistically, the EF is not going to have much demand in the Ordinariate because vernacular worship is part of the Anglican Patrimony. A contemporary language rite is available in the OF and a "traditional" language rite is also available in the Ordinariate. But Ordinariate priests are also encouraged to help as needed in the local dioceses and that could include places where the EF is celebrated.

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                                          They very definitely have been given such faculties in some cases.  And non-Ordinariate priests in some cases have been given faculties to say Anglican Use Masses.

                                          Arlington VA USA
                                          dlewisaao@...

                                          From: David Waller <d.a.waller@...>

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 15, 2013
                                              Your bottom sentence explains it all.  See my example cited in update to the "old news" that Lew had cited.

                                              And there are many of us in the Ordinariate who happen to find the TLM, as well as the Anglican Use, particularly edifying to our souls.

                                              Arlington VA USA
                                              dlewisaao@...