Re: [liturgy-l] Early 20th C. Good Friday

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 26, 2013
      From: Lewis Whitaker <lhwhitaker@...>
      Subject: [liturgy-l] Early 20th C. Good Friday

      I've run across this reference in a diary, and wanted to defer to your better wisdom to interpret it:

      "It is a great dramatic moment Ricketts could never equal nor any dramaturge of the world, when the priests lie flat before the stripped altar; & only the white altar-cloth, before it is used for the service, is laid over them as a shroud."

      Sounds like a monastic admission rite.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 26, 2013
        That would have been the funeral pall, though.

        This is definitely in the context of a Good Friday service in a Roman Catholic Church.

        From: Lewis Whitaker <lhwhitaker@...>

        I've run across this reference in a diary, and wanted to defer to your better wisdom to interpret it:

        "It is a great dramatic moment Ricketts could never equal nor any dramaturge of the world, when the priests lie flat before the stripped altar; & only the white altar-cloth, before it is used for the service, is laid over them as a shroud."

        Sounds like a monastic admission rite.

      • James
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 26, 2013
          The outer cloth changes with the seasons, the inner cloth which is white stays on until it falls apart.

          Rdr. James Morgan

          PS It would take a liturgical archeologist to determine why an altar cloth (fair linen) was used as a 'shroud' for the sacred ministers of the Good Friday Liturgy!
          but thanks, Lew for asking....