Maccabees and Purgatory

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2013
      I'm in the midst of writing a background piece to music and the chantry
      industry in the 15th century. I can't find the reference, but I'm sure I
      read somewhere that the English reformers' antipathy to the
      Deutero-canonical books of the Bible was partially shaped by the use of 2
      Maccabees 12: 43-46 (Judas' offering to the Temple for the dead) as an
      apologetic for propitiary masses for the dead.

      Can anyone give me a reference?

    • wx5116
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2013
        What about Wisdom 3-1-5, 9 as an at least oblique reference to Purgatory?

        Arlington VA USA
        dlewisaao@...

        In a message dated 6/11/2013 3:43:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cowling.douglas@... writes:
        I'm in the midst of writing a background piece to music and the chantry
        industry in the 15th century.  I can't find the reference, but I'm sure I
        read somewhere that the English reformers' antipathy to the
        Deutero-canonical books of the Bible was partially shaped by the use of 2
        Maccabees 12: 43-46 (Judas' offering to the Temple for the dead) as an
        apologetic for propitiary masses for the dead.

        Can anyone give me a reference?

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to: