Re: [liturgy-l] relic

  • wx5116
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
      The TLM that I often attend in McLean, VA, which is celebrated in a "theater in the round" skillfully adapted to appropriate use, includes a couple relics in reliquaries on the altar for the Sunday celebrations.  The two of them are censed during the initial censing and the offertory.

      Arlington VA USA
      dlewisaao@...

      In a message dated 4/27/2013 10:06:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, davidjstrang@... writes:

      Aside from inserting relics into the altar itself, the display of relics encased in elaborate, usually gilded
      reliquaries is still alive and well.  Anglican locations such as Saint Clement's Philadelphia USA routinely
      display their collection of relquaries on one of the high altar retables on high feast days.  I notice, too, that
      the local [Scranton, PA]  RC Tridentines have acquired a collection of ornate reliquaries for feast day high altar display as well.

      David Strang.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
        He hasn't explained why he is putting it in the floor. I believe the high alter (pre Vat-II) has a relic in it, but the post-Vat-II table does not have a relic.  At the moment I do not know what knd of container the relic is in.
        I'm sure on the night of the installation we'll understand a little bett.

        As for his explaining his rationalization...he hasn't ...probably won't. He'll rely on rubrics, as he does with everything else....the GIRM seems to have grown roots into his left hand.

        Never Forget Newtown

        To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
        From: sjziobro7@...
        Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:44:30 -0400

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
          From: "Jim ." <jim.meriden@...>

          He hasn't explained why he is putting it in the floor.

          Perhaps he's creating a 'confessio' with steps down to a crypt …

          Sounds very odd.

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
            It's really not that unusual to put relics beneath an altar. Most relics consisting of entire bodies of saints are frequently found beneath an altar.

            Pius IX and John XXIII are both beneath altars, as are St. Catherine Laboure', Mother Cabrini and St. Margaret Mary Alacoque.

            I'm assuming this is NOT an entire body, though. It would seem more fitting for this to be in a place where it could be venerated by the faithful.

            From: "Jim ." <jim.meriden@...>

            He hasn't explained why he is putting it in the floor.

            Perhaps he's creating a 'confessio' with steps down to a crypt …

            Sounds very odd.

          • Jim .
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
              there's no space for a crypt....it's a place between the raised floor that the high altar sits on and the original floor of the church....maybe a space about 3 feet deep.....wish I could describe it better. .... when the church was renovated after Vatican II, the entire sanctuary was raised and made larger. There are four steps going up from main aisle to the sanctuary area. Somewhere in that raised area, in the space between the original floor and the raised floor, is where the relic is going.

              Well, I guess we'll all find out on May 10

              Never Forget Newtown

              To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
              From: cowling.douglas@...
              Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:41:07 -0400