relic

  • Jim .
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26 5:31 AM
      Good morning,
      Recently our parish pastor announced that he had received a relic of a recently canonized American saint....can't remember her name off hand.....
      He said that on May 10 he would install this relic on our altar... actually, in the floor of the sanctuary... during a vespers service.
      I was always under the impression that relics in local parish churches were installed in the alter itself.  Secondly, our altar is on a raised  "false" floor, at least 3 feet higher than the main floor of the church. Is the relic in some kind of special container? reliquary? Shouldn't it be on display? or at least in a more honored place other than in the floor?
      Could I have misunderstood what he means by the floor?
      Finally, I thought that since Vatican II there was a de-emphasis on this kind of relic adoration....for lack of a better term.

      Thank you,
      Jim
    • catolik58
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26 8:44 PM
        Is the relic in what is called a thecla or relic holder, something like a pix with a glass cover, or is it simply wrapped in paper and sealed with a red sealing wax?  The latter were generally enclosed in a small receptacle embedded in an altar; the former were used for veneration of the Saint whose relic was contained therein.  In either case I don't understand why your pastor would want to install the relic in the floor of the sanctuary.  What is his raitonale for this decision?

        Stan

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27 7:06 AM
          Aside from inserting relics into the altar itself, the display of relics encased in elaborate, usually gilded
          reliquaries is still alive and well.  Anglican locations such as Saint Clement's Philadelphia USA routinely
          display their collection of relquaries on one of the high altar retables on high feast days.  I notice, too, that
          the local [Scranton, PA]  RC Tridentines have acquired a collection of ornate reliquaries for feast day high altar display as well.

          David Strang.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27 11:31 AM
              He hasn't explained why he is putting it in the floor. I believe the high alter (pre Vat-II) has a relic in it, but the post-Vat-II table does not have a relic.  At the moment I do not know what knd of container the relic is in.
              I'm sure on the night of the installation we'll understand a little bett.

              As for his explaining his rationalization...he hasn't ...probably won't. He'll rely on rubrics, as he does with everything else....the GIRM seems to have grown roots into his left hand.

              Never Forget Newtown

              To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
              From: sjziobro7@...
              Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:44:30 -0400

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27 1:41 PM
                From: "Jim ." <jim.meriden@...>

                He hasn't explained why he is putting it in the floor.

                Perhaps he's creating a 'confessio' with steps down to a crypt …

                Sounds very odd.

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 27 1:59 PM
                  It's really not that unusual to put relics beneath an altar. Most relics consisting of entire bodies of saints are frequently found beneath an altar.

                  Pius IX and John XXIII are both beneath altars, as are St. Catherine Laboure', Mother Cabrini and St. Margaret Mary Alacoque.

                  I'm assuming this is NOT an entire body, though. It would seem more fitting for this to be in a place where it could be venerated by the faithful.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 28 5:57 AM
                    there's no space for a crypt....it's a place between the raised floor that the high altar sits on and the original floor of the church....maybe a space about 3 feet deep.....wish I could describe it better. .... when the church was renovated after Vatican II, the entire sanctuary was raised and made larger. There are four steps going up from main aisle to the sanctuary area. Somewhere in that raised area, in the space between the original floor and the raised floor, is where the relic is going.

                    Well, I guess we'll all find out on May 10

                    Never Forget Newtown

                    To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
                    From: cowling.douglas@...
                    Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:41:07 -0400