Re: [liturgy-l] First Mass of Easter question

  • wx5116
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 6, 2013
      Yet, in many places the Messiah has a Christmas connection, but as non-church rather than liturgical use.

      It's liturgical use is as bad as what happens in too many weddings where certain ditties from Lohengrin and A Midsummer Night's Dream are used.

      Arlington VA USA
      dlewisaao@...

      From: Frank Senn <fcsenn@...>
      Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] First Mass of Easter question

      Messiah was composed, like Handel's other oratorios, for performance during Lent when the opera houses were closed. It was not intended to be liturgical music

      In fact, Anglican bishops forbade its performance in churches, and Dean Jonathan Swift (of 'Gulliver's Travels' fame) had to persuaded to allow his cathedral choir boys to take part in its premiere in Dublin.

      For me, there is no greater horror than the "traditional" sing-along performance of the "Hallelujah Chorus" which disfigures the Easter Day liturgies of countless Anglican churches who should know better.

      Horrible dictu!

    • paulweary
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 15, 2013
        --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Frank Senn <fcsenn@...> wrote:

        > Liturgy based on hymnody continues to be the characteristic of Moravian worship as can be seen in the Moravian Hymnal.

        And of course the Moravians had a great influence on the Wesley brothers. John Wesley encountered Moravians on his voyage to Georgia and was impressed that during a storm at sea, while everyone else was panicking the Moravians responded with prayer and song. Moravians in London were intrumental in his 'conversion experience' and he subsequently visited Herrnhut. Many Moravian hymns were translated into English by John Wesley and I suspect were influential in Charles Wesley's development as a hymn writer.

        Perhaps this suggests another route by which the 'hymn sandwich' entered the Anglican church; through the Methodist revival.

        Paul Weary
        Methodist Church
        Islington and Camden Circuit