Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Papal Maundy Thursday & Good Friday

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2013
      Jim:

      Exactly. VERY well said, and I agree with you about the Pope's message.

      On Mar 31, 2013, at 9:27 AM, "Jim ." <jim.meriden@...> wrote:

      " But in the
      > case of Casal del Marmo ³the rite was for a small, unique community made
      > up also of women. It was a specific situation in which excluding the
      > girls would have been inopportune in light of the simple aim of
      > communicating a message of love to all in a group that certainly didn't
      > include refined experts in liturgical rules." (La Stampa)"

      .....frankly, I find that statement stupid. Why should this institution be unique? It would be just as "inopportune" to exclude women in my unique parish, which is populated by an overwhelming number of women. The same Message of Love must be communicated equally, to all..regardless of their sex, or the "refinement" of their liturgical expertise.

      I think that the Pope's message went out loud and  clear, on all levels.

      To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
      From: klriley100@...
      Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:03:19 +1100
      Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Papal Maundy Thursday & Good Friday

      Better ??

      Kevin

      On 31/03/2013 8:32 AM, James wrote:

      Well, if the Lord Himself allowed a woman to wash HIS feet with her tears, and dry them with her hair, what's a Pope to do?

      Rdr. James Morgan

      --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

      > "Speaking to Associated Press, Vatican spokesman Fr. Federico Lombardi
      > explained that ³in a "grand solemn celebration" of the rite, it would
      > make sense to only involve men because during the Last Supper, Christ
      > washed the feet of the 12 apostles, all of whom were male. But in the
      > case of Casal del Marmo ³the rite was for a small, unique community made
      > up also of women. It was a specific situation in which excluding the
      > girls would have been inopportune in light of the simple aim of
      > communicating a message of love to all in a group that certainly didn't
      > include refined experts in liturgical rules." (La Stampa)
      >

      > Poor Lombardi ... He's going to have a lot more opportunities for such
      > Janus-like spin in the future. The extraordinista blogs are already
      > implying that the pope violated canon law by washing the feet of women.
      >
      > But they should be pleased that Marini's novel baroque throne was back in
      > place against the wall on Good Friday.

      No virus found in this message.