Re: [liturgy-l] Papal Maundy Thursday & Good Friday

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 29, 2013
      That's just crazy talk!

      On Mar 29, 2013, at 9:10 PM, dlewisaao@... wrote:

      But if he had elected to do this liturgy in, say, a convent, ...

      Arlington VA USA
      dlewisaao@...

      In a message dated 3/29/2013 6:18:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cowling.douglas@... writes:
      "Speaking to Associated Press, Vatican spokesman Fr. Federico Lombardi
      explained that ³in a "grand solemn celebration" of the rite, it would
      make sense to only involve men because during the Last Supper, Christ
      washed the feet of the 12 apostles, all of whom were male. But in the
      case of Casal del Marmo ³the rite was for a small, unique community made
      up also of women. It was a specific situation in which excluding the
      girls would have been inopportune in light of the simple aim of
      communicating a message of love to all in a group that certainly didn't
      include refined experts in liturgical rules."  (La Stampa)

      Poor Lombardi ... He's going to have a lot more opportunities for such
      Janus-like spin in the future.  The extraordinista blogs are already
      implying that the pope violated canon law by washing the feet of women.

      But they should be pleased that Marini's novel baroque throne was back in
      place against the wall on Good Friday.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          liturgy-l-digest@yahoogroups.com
          liturgy-l-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • James
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 30, 2013
        Well, if the Lord Himself allowed a woman to wash HIS feet with her tears, and dry them with her hair, what's a Pope to do?

        Rdr. James Morgan

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 30, 2013
          Being a Muslim, the girl could have opted out! But she did not. Says something...

          Rdr. James

          --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Ian Gomersall <ian.gomersall@...> wrote:

          > I thought that Pope Francis act in washing and kissing a Muslim woman's
          > feet was a wonderfully inclusive sign of service.
          > See: http://stchrysostoms.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/inclusive-footwashing/
          >
          > Ian

        • Kevin Riley
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 30, 2013
            Better ??

            Kevin

            On 31/03/2013 8:32 AM, James wrote:

            Well, if the Lord Himself allowed a woman to wash HIS feet with her tears, and dry them with her hair, what's a Pope to do?

            Rdr. James Morgan

            --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

            > "Speaking to Associated Press, Vatican spokesman Fr. Federico Lombardi
            > explained that ³in a "grand solemn celebration" of the rite, it would
            > make sense to only involve men because during the Last Supper, Christ
            > washed the feet of the 12 apostles, all of whom were male. But in the
            > case of Casal del Marmo ³the rite was for a small, unique community made
            > up also of women. It was a specific situation in which excluding the
            > girls would have been inopportune in light of the simple aim of
            > communicating a message of love to all in a group that certainly didn't
            > include refined experts in liturgical rules." (La Stampa)
            >

            > Poor Lombardi ... He's going to have a lot more opportunities for such
            > Janus-like spin in the future. The extraordinista blogs are already
            > implying that the pope violated canon law by washing the feet of women.
            >
            > But they should be pleased that Marini's novel baroque throne was back in
            > place against the wall on Good Friday.

            No virus found in this message.

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 30, 2013
              On 3/30/13 5:34 PM, "James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

              >Being a Muslim, the girl could have opted out! But she did not. Says
              >something..

              I worry for the girl's safety.

            • Jim .
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 31, 2013
                " But in the
                > case of Casal del Marmo ³the rite was for a small, unique community made
                > up also of women. It was a specific situation in which excluding the
                > girls would have been inopportune in light of the simple aim of
                > communicating a message of love to all in a group that certainly didn't
                > include refined experts in liturgical rules." (La Stampa)"

                .....frankly, I find that statement stupid. Why should this institution be unique? It would be just as "inopportune" to exclude women in my unique parish, which is populated by an overwhelming number of women. The same Message of Love must be communicated equally, to all..regardless of their sex, or the "refinement" of their liturgical expertise.

                I think that the Pope's message went out loud and  clear, on all levels.

                To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
                From: klriley100@...
                Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:03:19 +1100
                Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Papal Maundy Thursday & Good Friday

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 31, 2013
                  Jim:

                  Exactly. VERY well said, and I agree with you about the Pope's message.

                  To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
                  From: klriley100@...
                  Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:03:19 +1100