When are "converts" received in the Roman Church

  • Dwight
    Message 1 of 204 , Mar 27, 2013
      My friend is being received into the Roman Catholic Church, being confirmed (as he explained it) out of his Lutheranity. His parish is receiving him (and all new members) on Maundy Thursday. That seems odd to me. If his was a catechumenate -- and that is how it is presented -- shouldn't that culminate with his reception at the Vigil? His priest explained that he thinks it "nice" that the new members be able to receive communion on Maundy Thursday, the remembrance of the Last Supper. No bishop will be present; the priest will confirm him.

      I don't understand. Is this a confirmation? Is it a sacrament? If so, is it not the bishop's obligation to preside? Apparently the archdiocese is fine with this.

      Is this odd or regular practice? (I live in a very protected area of Lutheranity, so I'm not in touch with these practices.) When my goddaughter was confirmed in the Roman Catholic Church, it was at a city-wide celebration with the bishop presiding and confirming. And that's what I thought it would be like for "converts," too. What am I missing?

      Blessings of peace and calm during Holy Week.

      Dwight Penas
      Minneapolis
      "Anyone who thinks that he has understood the divine scriptures or any part of them, but cannot by his understanding build up this double love of God and neighbor, has not yet succeeded in understanding them." -- Augustine
      Message 204 of 204 , Apr 9, 2013
        On 4/9/13 2:43 PM, "Simon Kershaw" <simon@...> wrote:

        >In this case, however, the BBC is not to blame since the 1980s
        >adaptation of Brideshead was made by Granada not by the BBC.

        Oh thank heaven. One can hardly expect a lower-caste usurper to the BBC's
        primacy to pronounce things correctly.

        Although I much preferred Claire Bloom to Emma Thompson.