Spy Wednesday

  • beswanky76
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2013
      What is the origin of referring to Wednesday in Holy Week as "Spy Wednesday?" I know it is a reference to the betrayal by Judas, but where and when was the term first used and in what quarters is it still used and why?
    • Robert White
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 25, 2013
        Re: [liturgy-l] Spy Wednesday Monday, March 25, 2013, 1:58:11 PM,beswanky76 wrote:

        What is the origin of referring to Wednesday in Holy Week as "Spy Wednesday?" I know it is a reference to the betrayal by Judas, but where and when was the term first used and in what quarters is it still used and why?

        Try a google searcxh--here are a few of the offerings on the first page (none seem to suggest a date of origin, all the same general theme of Juydas becoming a "spy."

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Wednesday
        http://www.fisheaters.com/customslent12.html
        http://www.lentmadness.org/2012/04/spy-wednesday/
        http://www.sunstar.com.ph/bacolod/lifestyle/2012/04/04/spy-wednesday-now-holy-wednesday-214835

        --
        Best regards,
         Bob White

        The greatness of Christianity lies in its being hated
        by the world, not in its being convincing to it.
        --Ignatius of Antioch