Re: [liturgy-l] Inauguration of Archbishop of Canterbury

  • Davide Lopez
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 21 9:56 AM

      I can't find on the web a video of the Archbishop's enthronement. Italian Tv didn't broadcast it. Can you help me to find it?

      Please.

      DL

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 21 10:26 AM
        Re: [liturgy-l] Inauguration of Archbishop of Canterbury Thursday, March 21, 2013, 11:06:40 AM,Douglas Cowling wrote:

        Here is the service booklet for the "Inauguration of Ministry" (aka
        Enthronment) of the Archbishop of Canterbury today:

        I noticed this near the end of the ceremony:

        The Cathedral bells ring out, as members of the Cathedral Company of Change Ringers
        attempt a Quarter Peal of Grandsire Cinques (my emphasis)

        Was it a success?

        --
        Best regards,
         Bob White

        It has been said that though God cannot alter the past,
        historians can; it is perhaps because they can be useful to Him
        in this respect that He tolerates their existence.
        -- Samuel Bulter--Erewhon Revisited

      • Robert White
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 21 10:28 AM
          Re: [liturgy-l] Inauguration of Archbishop of Canterbury Thursday, March 21, 2013, 11:06:40 AM,Douglas Cowling wrote:

          It's a free-standing enthronement ceremony without eucharist.

          I this typical of such ceremonies?

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 21 10:45 AM
            From: Robert White <whiteslists@...>

            Is this typical of such ceremonies?

            State occasions in England are always made-up non-liturgical affairs with a heavy layer of pseudo-historical detritus.

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 21 10:49 AM
              ....and never forget that the Archbishop of Canterbury is a Civil Servant.

              From: Robert White <whiteslists@...>

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 21 11:08 AM
                From: Davide Lopez <sola_grazia@...>

                I can't find on the web a video of the Archbishop's enthronement. Italian Tv didn't broadcast it

                It would be like a Verdi opera on RAI!

                "Ecco il Principe di Galles e la Duchessa di Cornovaglia!"

              • Sandford MacLean
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 21 11:17 AM
                  Was it Monty Python or SCTV?
                  "I want to be pope."
                  "I want to be king."
                   "I want to be the king's pope."
                   "I want to be the pope's king."

                  Sandford MacLean

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  From: Robert White <whiteslists@...>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 21 11:20 AM
                    I really would like to see it and follow it with the booklet you showed, but I can find only photos.. although I am not a Verdi's fan :-)

                    DL

                    I can't find on the web a video of the Archbishop's enthronement. Italian Tv didn't broadcast it

                    It would be like a Verdi opera on RAI!

                    "Ecco il Principe di Galles e la Duchessa di Cornovaglia!"

                  • Michael Thannisch
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 21 11:46 AM
                      As I recall, the English are less likely to celebrate the Eucharist for such things as enthronements.

                      Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach

                      +Mar Michael Abportus
                      Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham
                      http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/
                      http://patriotstatesman.com/
                      http://laportemorganspointshoreacresnews.webs.com/
                      http://santoeastcemeteryassociation.webs.com/
                      204 Sylvan Ave.
                      La Porte, TX 77571
                      281-867-9081 (home)
                      281-867-0335 (office)
                      832-266-8153 (mobile)
                      281-867-0576 (fax)

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 21 1:05 PM
                          Thanks David, I was trying to remember and couldn't remember where my BCP with the coronation service was.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 21 7:41 PM
                            Here are some:

                            This looks like a good version about 36 minutes of highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLirdU0QIdM

                            Give it a few days and I am sure YouTube will have the whole thing.

                            All the best,

                            James O'Regan
                            oregan@...

                            On 2013-03-21, at 2:20 PM, Davide Lopez wrote:

                            I really would like to see it and follow it with the booklet you showed, but I can find only photos.. although I am not a Verdi's fan :-)

                            DL

                            I can't find on the web a video of the Archbishop's enthronement. Italian Tv didn't broadcast it

                            It would be like a Verdi opera on RAI!

                            "Ecco il Principe di Galles e la Duchessa di Cornovaglia!"

                          • Simon Kershaw
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 25 2:54 PM
                              On 21/03/2013 17.49, Lewis Whitaker wrote:
                              > ....and never forget that the Archbishop of Canterbury is a Civil Servant.

                              I'm not sure I can forget it because I have never known it.

                              And, more to the point, it isn't true either.

                              Whilst the clergy of the state church ore other recognized church might
                              be civil servants in some countries (especially north European Lutheran
                              ones, perhaps), the clergy are not civil servants in England, nor have
                              they ever been.

                              simon

                              --
                              Simon Kershaw
                              simon@...
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 25 3:39 PM
                                Except for the whole selected from the Crown Appointment Committee by the Prime Minister, confirmed by the Crown part.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 25 3:44 PM
                                  On 3/25/13 5:54 PM, "Simon Kershaw" <simon@...> wrote:

                                  >Whilst the clergy of the state church ore other recognized church might
                                  >be civil servants in some countries (especially north European Lutheran
                                  >ones, perhaps), the clergy are not civil servants in England, nor have
                                  >they ever been.

                                  This is a fine point, isn't it? The senior clerical positions in the
                                  Church of England are political nominations and they are paid out of the
                                  income of protected endowments.