papabile and vestments

  • Steve Cox
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2013
      Prior to the election of the newest pope, CNN ran an article on the "papabile", the men they thought most likely to be elected pope.
      The first man on their list, Angelo Bagnasco, is shown wearing a cassock and shoulder-cape which looks perfectly average in my experience.
      What I have never seen before are the two stars on his cassock collar as if he were a brigadier general in the U. S. Army.
      My experience is almost entirely with the Episcopal Church.  Do any of you with more experience with the Roman Catholic Church know the significance of the two stars?
      I await enlightenment...

      -Steve in Newton, MA

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2013
        From: Steve Cox <cox@...>
        Subject: [liturgy-l] papabile and vestments

        What I have never seen before are the two stars on his cassock collar as if he were a brigadier general in the U. S. Army.My experience is almost entirely with the Episcopal Church.  Do any of you with more experience with the Roman Catholic Church know the significance of the two stars?

        His biography says he is the military ordinary for Italy so maybe he is a two-star general!