Crozier at Mass for Election of Pope?

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
      I noticed that Cardinal Scola, Dean of the College and presider at the mass, carried a crozier. Is this kosher or is it another Marini novelty like the "Benedictine Candle-Cage"? I don't remember Ratzinger carrying one at the mass before the conclave which elected him.  The Bishops of Rome have never carried an episcopal crozier, rather a processional cross (Benedict revived Pius X's cross).  I know the cardinals are allowed to wear their mozettas as a sign of their papal possibility, but I would have thought that even the dean would not use a crozier in the Diocese of Rome.

      Sad that CNN has better coverage than my beloved CBC.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
        I think he might invoke the Nixonian Theorem that Daniel alluded to earlier. "

        When the Dean of the College of Cardinals does it, then it is not illicit."

        I'm forgetting the Candle-Cage. Do tell.

        Lew

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
          From: Lewis Whitaker <lhwhitaker@...>
          Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] Crozier at Mass for Election of Pope?

          I'm forgetting the Candle-Cage. Do tell.

          A liturgy wag called Marini's innovation of westward celebration with the six Tridentine candles on the altar the "Benedictine Cage" because of the unfortunate impression that the presider was in a cage. The arrangement was traditonally restricted to the Roman basilicas which of course were occidented.

        • Daniel Lawson
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
            On Mar 12, 2013, at 11:17 AM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

            I would have thought that even the dean would not use a crozier in the Diocese of Rome.

            Which way was it facing? Outward would be quite a claim, but inward doesn't seem so remarkable — he's a prelate who's the head of a college while exercising pastoral leadership and oversight of his flock. Not so different from a mitered abbot  whose abbey lies inside the diocese of Rome.

            --
            Daniel Lawson

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013
              From: Daniel Lawson <k95dl01@...>>

              Which way was it facing? Outward would be quite a claim

              Outward.

            • Daniel Lawson
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 12, 2013

                On Mar 12, 2013, at 12:36 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

                Which way was it facing? Outward would be quite a claim

                Outward.

                What's the normal practice wrt croziers for a bishop from one diocese providing episcopal ministry in another diocese that is sede vacante?

                --
                Daniel Lawson