Re: [liturgy-l] Holy Saturday interactive family service

    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 10, 2013
      From the Catholic Encyclopedia:

      "The noise made at the end of Tenebræ undoubtedly had its origin in the signal given by the master of ceremonies for the return of the ministers to the sacristy. A number of the earlierCeremoniales and Ordines are explicit on this point. But at a later date others lent their aid in making this knocking. For example Patricius Piccolomini says: "The prayer being ended the master of ceremonies begins to beat with his hand upon the altar step or upon some bench, and all to some extent make a noise and clatter." This was afterwards symbolically interpreted to represent the convulsion of nature which followed the death of Jesus Christ."

      On Mar 10, 2013, at 7:46 PM, John Dornheim <johndornheim@...> wrote:

      No, I believe that David is correct.
      John Dornheim

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 10, 2013, at 5:57 PM, Lewis Whitaker <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

      I think that's midrash. The knock was a signal the the candle should be returned. It has been allegorized over the centuries.

      On Mar 10, 2013, at 9:47 AM, dlewisaao@... wrote:

      Sounds like Tenebrae!

      I'd thought that the sound at the end symbolized the earthquake at Christ's death.

      Arlington VA USA
      dlewisaao@...

      In a message dated 3/10/2013 9:00:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jim.meriden@... writes:

      The drama continues at a church in my hometown. As the service progresses, all lights along with  15 candles are extinguished until the entire church is dark. After the last candle is lit, a door is slammed very forcefully to signify the closing of The Tomb.
      The prayers are a combination of the Office of Readings and Evening Prayer from the Roman Liturgy of the hours.

      To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
      From: cowling.douglas@...
      Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 17:12:44 -0500
      Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] Holy Saturday interactive family service

      From: "Jim ." <jim.meriden@...>

      "Good Friday Three Hours or Seven Last Words, Lesions and Corrales, Stations of the Cross"  ......lately I attend Good Friday liturgy to be a part of the choir..but later I attend a Tenebrae (sp?) with family.

      Although Tenebrae is technically Matins of the Tridduum, it was treated as popular devotion for the laity and was much more popular than the principal rites which were all but clerical preserves. The customs of Tenebrae were dramatic and melodramatic. My favourite was a town in Provence where it was the custom of hunters to gather outside the church and when they heard the knock inside the church to shoot off their rifles.  When I was there, Tenebrae hadn't been celebrated for a century but the hunters still gathered for what was now a tourist attraction. In fact, since moveable feasts are so annoying to publicists , they had fixed the shoot-off on a particular day in April so it could be advertised.

    • James
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 11, 2013
        what on earth! I can just imagine this: Priest to acolyte: Where did you put my crotalus? Acolyte: what?

        rdr James.
        Liturgical trivia knows no boundaries!
        Kind of like skufias and gremiales...