Re: [liturgy-l] Holy Saturday interactive family service

  • Walter Knowles
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 9, 2013
      Assuming (and given the "local Anglo-catholic" one would hope it's a
      safe one) that this is a way of introducing children to Holy Week and
      not a replacement for the vigil, I think it's a fine idea. What would
      make it a great idea is to do it on Monday night, so that families could
      then choose to experience )parts of) the real deal later in the week.

      We need to remember that everything about holy week, from the palm
      sunday processional through the lighting of the new fire, except for the
      reading of the Johannine passion on Friday and the (all night) vigil on
      holy Saturday were inventions to keep the tourists busy and out of
      trouble in the various Disneylands of fourth- and fifth-century
      christendom (Jerusalem, Constantinople, and Rome), and to some extent,
      to more people to visit particular pilgrimage locales and contribute
      more money. The liturgies didn't come down from Jesus or from first
      principles. So, keep the traditions if they are meaningful, add to them
      and educate. You're just doing what Cyril did by doing so.

      Walt Knowles
      Kirkland, WA
    • James
      Message 47 of 47 , Mar 11, 2013
        what on earth! I can just imagine this: Priest to acolyte: Where did you put my crotalus? Acolyte: what?

        rdr James.
        Liturgical trivia knows no boundaries!
        Kind of like skufias and gremiales...