Re: [liturgy-l] The ending of a pontificate

    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 27, 2013
      That's the Devil.

      On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Robert White <whiteslists@...> wrote:

      Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 11:34:10 AM,Douglas Cowling wrote:

      but give up his red Guccis

      I think I read/heard that the Pope wears Prada.

      --
      Best regards,
       Bob White

      The trouble with some of us is that we have been inoculated
      with small doses of Christianity which keep us from
      catching the real thing.  --Leslie Dixon Weatherhead

    • John Dornheim
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 28, 2013
        Thank you. I bite my tongue over much of this discussion and would prefer that we stick to things liturgical. We all have other outlets to share our personal feelings.
        John Dornheim

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 28, 2013, at 2:30 PM, "Jim ." <jim.meriden@...> wrote:

        "...we are in a age in which the church is misunderstood and as a consequence the object of irrational speculations about motivations and in which much of the secular press simply has an ax out for the church, particularly in it Roman Catholic manifestations."

        My poor attitude stems from recent disillusionments.  Something definitely off-topic for this list, so I won't go there.

        To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
        From: whiteslists@...
        Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:09:52 -0500
        Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] The ending of a pontificate

        Thursday, February 28, 2013, 12:22:03 PM,Jim . wrote:

        One suspects that when the time comes, B-16 will be buried with full honors, mainly because most of the red and purple hats still alive even then will have been appointed by JP2 or B16, so they'll want to give their patrone a big send off.

        This is not directly a response to Jim's comments, and as tangentially relevant to "liturgy" as most of the rest of this thread:

        It seems to me (a Lutheran serving as Interim Rector in an Episcopalian Parish) that if we did not notice it before, we are in a age in which the church is misunderstood and as a consequence the object of irrational speculations about motivations and in which much of the secular press simply has an ax out for the church, particularly in it Roman Catholic manifestations.

        Yes churches are human institutions; yes the churches' leaders err.

        I heard part of an interview this morning between a BBC correspondent, a female Catholic from somewhere in Africa, and Fr. Thomas Reese, Jesuit.

        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014t2kf

        On almost every question, the first response was to correct the interviews question--example, doesn't the church's stance on birth control hurt growth in Africa? From the woman: not Africans respect life; From Fr Reese, 98% of American Catholics ignore the Church's teaching. The interviewer: Pope Benedict really hasn't dismissed priests for instances of sexual misconduct: Fr. Reese--he may have been slow to start but over the last few years he has responded quick and dismissed hundred of priests. Interviewer: Isn't Benedict leaving a church in crisis? No, he has rebuilt trust, and confidence.

        Perhaps it is in part from the Lutheran side of things that I (we) have some continuing regard from this Pope. Had it not be for Cardinal Ratzinger, it is far less likely that a decade or so ago the Vatican would have signed on the the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification that set aside the mutual condemnations of the Reformation era and moved our two churches into agreement that one basics we are in more agreement than not.

        --
        Best regards,
         Bob White

        The greatness of Christianity lies in its being hated
        by the world, not in its being convincing to it.
        --Ignatius of Antioch