Re: [liturgy-l] The Papacy as Separate Order

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2013
      The pope won't, of course. We can hope the DA will.

      On Feb 23, 2013, at 8:21 PM, "Jim ." <jim.meriden@...> wrote:

      "NY TIMES: "In most ways, the practical impact of Archbishop Gomez’s rebuke is minimal — while Cardinal Mahony has canceled presiding at confirmations this year, he is still a priest in good standing with the church. He can still celebrate Mass and is still eligible to vote for a pope." .."

       ....of course he is still a priest in good standing.....an arch-bishop cannot discipline a cardinal....only a pope (and the prosecutor of the City and County of Los Angeles)  can do that. Abp Gomez's action is totally useless. And Gomez just ruined his chance to wear a red hat.

      To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
      From: cowling.douglas@...
      Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:32:49 -0500
      Subject: [liturgy-l] The Papacy as Separate Order

      NY TIMES:  "In most ways, the practical impact of Archbishop Gomez’s rebuke is minimal — while Cardinal Mahony has canceled presiding at confirmations this year, he is still a priest in good standing with the church. He can still celebrate Mass and is still eligible to vote for a pope."

      It's remarkable that even after 50 years, it's as if the Second Vatican Council never decided that the episcopate was a separate sacramental order and not just the priesthood dressed up with administrative functions conceded by the pope. So too the commentary coming out of both the right and the left that the papacy is somehow a separate sacramental order which is different from the episcopate. One blogger went so far to suggest that Benedict was "defrocking" himself and would be just a priest when he retires.  Ironic that at a time when American bishops are acting in the most absolutist manner, the episcopal order is still so imperfectly understood.