Re: ICEL Eucharistic Prayer A and Hippolytus

  • Robert Lyons
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 19, 2013
      On 2/18/2013, Joseph Farias wrote: "I believe that ICEL worked on a number of translations as well as original Eucharistic Prayers. Some were for study, others were with the hope that they would have been approved. The Anaphora of Basil was presented and published in 1985. Addai and Mari was published afterwards. I somehow recall that work was done on Serapion as well but I'm not certain of that. Eucharistic Prayer A was an original creation as well as Alternative Eucharistic Prayer VI."

      Mazza's "Eucharistic Prayers of the Roman Rite" insinuates that ICEL Eucharistic Prayer A was an original creation in contemporary English, designed according to the Antiochene/Roman Model. I have found a few other vague references to it, but never a text. The date mentioned was either 1982 or 1984 (I don't have the book in front of me at the moment.).

      I did not realize (and I think Mazza's work was complete before 1985) that ICEL had reworked Basil, or worked at all on Serapion or Addi and Mari. No source I have read mentioned AEP VI. I'd be most interested to learn more about all of them.

      Again, JF: "I have copies of these prayers. I am reticent to include them here since I'm sure they've been copyrighted, however, I'm willing to send them to anyone individually for the purpose of study."

      I'd be most interested in seeing them for study purposes.

      Rob+

      --
      Father Robert Lyons
      Bargersville, IN