Re: ICEL Eucharistic Prayer A and Hippolytus

  • Joseph Farias
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2013
      On 2/16/13 1:33 AM, "Father Robert Lyons" fatherroblyons@...> wrote:
      >Last night I was reading a book that mentioned two ICEL works from the
      >early to mid 1980's, an original EP and a fresh revision of Hippolytus. I
      >cannot find the texts online. Any leads n where they might be found?

      I believe that ICEL worked on a number of translations as well as original Eucharistic Prayers. Some were for study, others were with the hope that they would have been approved. The Anaphora of Basil was presented and published in 1985. Addai and Mari was published afterwards. I somehow recall that work was done on Serapion as well but I'm not certain of that. Eucharistic Prayer A was an original creation as well as Alternative Eucharistic Prayer VI.

      I have copies of these prayers. I am reticent to include them here since I'm sure they've been copyrighted, however, I'm willing to send them to anyone individually for the purpose of study.

      I don't believe it was ICEL who worked on a revision /adaptation of the Roman prayer IV (US BCP Prayer D), but rather an independent ecumenical body of scholars in the mid 70s. Being a student at the right place at the right time, I was invited to take part in a few of the sessions when they met in Baltimore. Some of the scholars included Aidan Kavanagh, Marion Hatchett, Tom Talley, Ralph Keifer. The other names elude me right now. I remember meeting a scholar who was a member of the Church Army society in New York. I recall a discussion when someone felt uneasy praying for a bishop in the prayer. The discussion went around and around until Tom Tally brought the group to silence by stating he believed there was no one who needed prayers more than a bishop. After the prayer was completed, representative groups presented the prayer to his/her respective group as a Common Eucharist Prayer. The US catholic bishops did not give it an approval.

      I've included this prayer I found in my files entitled "Unfinished copy" from around 1975 or 76.
      EUCHARISTIC PRAYER IV
      (Ecumenical Translation)

      Celebrant alone
      It is truly right to thank and glorify you, Father,
      for you alone are God, living and true,
      dwelling in light inaccessible
      from before time and for ever.
      Fountain of life and source of all qoodness,
      you made all things to fill them with your
      blessing,
      you created them to rejoice in the splendor
      of your radiance.
      Therefore countless throngs of angels stand
      before you
      to serve you night and day,
      and beholding the glory of your face
      they offer you unceasing praise.
      Joining with them,
      and giving voice to all other creatures under
      heaven
      we acclaim you, and glorify your Name,
      as we sing (say) . . .
      Holy, Holy, Holy
      Celebrant alone
      We acclaim you, holy Lord, for you are
      mighty;
      all your works reveal your wisdom and love.
      You formed us in your own image
      and gave the whole world into our care
      so that by serving you alone, our creator,
      we might have dominion over all creation.
      Even when our disobedience took us far from you
      you did not abandon us to the power of death.
      In your mercy you came to our help so that in
      seeking you we might find you.
      Again and again you called us into
      covenant with you.
      You taught us through prophets to look for
      salvation.
      Father, you loved the world so much

      that in the fullness of time you sent your only
      begotten son to be our Savior,
      Incarnate by the Holy Spirit, and born of the
      Virgin Mary,
      he lived as one of us yet never sinned
      To the poor he proclaimed the good news of
      salvation,
      to prisoners, freedom,
      and to those in sorrow, joy.
      In fulfillment of your purpose
      he gave himself up to death;
      and by rising from the dead,
      destroyed death and made the whole creation new.
      And that we might live no longer for ourselves
      but for him, who died and rose for us,
      he sent the Holy Spirit from you, Father,
      his own first gift for those who believe.

      In this way he completed his work in the world, and fulfilled the sanctification of all.

      Therefore Father, let the Holy Spirit sanctify these gifts. May they become the body and blood of Jesus Christ our Lord for us who celebrate this great mystery which he left us as an everlasting covenant.

      When the hour had come for him to be glorified by you,
      his heavenly Father,

      having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end;
      While they were at supper,
      he took bread and gave you thanks and praise.
      He broke the bread, gave it to his disciples, and said ..
      Take this, all of you, and eat it.
      This is my body which will be given up for you.
      When supper was ended, he took the cup.
      Again, he gave you thanks and praise,
      gave the cup to his disciples, and said;
      Take this, all of you, and drink from it,
      this is the cup of my blood,
      the blood of the new and everlasting covenant.
      It will be shed for you and for all
      so that sins may be forgiven.
      Do this in memory of me.

      Father, we now celebrate this memorial of our redemption. Recalling Christ's death and his descent among the dead, proclaiming his resurrection and ascension to your right hand, awaiting his coming in glory; and offering to you, from the gifts you have given us .. this bread and this cup, we praise you and we bless you.

      Let us proclaim the mystery of faith.

      ***Lord, we pray that in your goodness and mercy your Holy Spirit may descend upon us, and upon these gifts, sanctifying them and showing them to be holy gifts for your holy people, the bread of life and the cup of eternal salvation.

      Grant that all who share this bread and cup may become one body and one spirit, a living sacrifice in Christ,' to the praise of your name.

      Remember, Lord, your one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church which you have redeemed by the blood of your Christ. Reveal its unity, guard its faith and preserve it in peace.

      Remember (N. our pope, our Bishop N. and) , (N. and N. and) all who minister in your church. Remember all your people and those who seek your truth.

      Remember. . .
      Remember all who have died in the peace of Christ,
      and those whose faith is known to you alone;
      Bring them to the place of eternal joy and light,
      and grant that we may find our inheritance
      with the Blessed Virgin Mary,
      with patriarchs, prophets,
      apostles, and martyrs
      and all the saints who have found favor with you
      in ages past.
      We praise you in union with them
      and give you glory
      through Christ our risen Lord.
      Through Christ, and with Christ and in Christ
      in the unity of the Holy Spirit
      all honor and glory are yours, almighty God and Father,
      for ever and ever. Amen.

      ***Lord, look upon this offering you have prepared your church to make. In your mercy gather all who share this one bread and cup into one body by your Holy Spirit and make them a living sacrifice in Christ to the praise of your glory.

      Joe Farias
      _____________________________________
      "(Mediator Dei) cautions us the danger of any artificial attempt to revive some period of the past in all its details whether that period be well or badly chosen, and its practice of the liturgy be well or poorly understood."
      -- Liturgical Piety, Louis Bouyer
      _______________________
      Joseph G. Farias 973-267-5330 jfarias@...
      jfarias@... St. Thomas More
      jfarias@... Convent Station NJ
      *** Please note the new parish email address ***
      (Consider the environment. Please print this email only if absolutely necessary.)
    • Robert Lyons
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 19, 2013
        On 2/18/2013, Joseph Farias wrote: "I believe that ICEL worked on a number of translations as well as original Eucharistic Prayers. Some were for study, others were with the hope that they would have been approved. The Anaphora of Basil was presented and published in 1985. Addai and Mari was published afterwards. I somehow recall that work was done on Serapion as well but I'm not certain of that. Eucharistic Prayer A was an original creation as well as Alternative Eucharistic Prayer VI."

        Mazza's "Eucharistic Prayers of the Roman Rite" insinuates that ICEL Eucharistic Prayer A was an original creation in contemporary English, designed according to the Antiochene/Roman Model. I have found a few other vague references to it, but never a text. The date mentioned was either 1982 or 1984 (I don't have the book in front of me at the moment.).

        I did not realize (and I think Mazza's work was complete before 1985) that ICEL had reworked Basil, or worked at all on Serapion or Addi and Mari. No source I have read mentioned AEP VI. I'd be most interested to learn more about all of them.

        Again, JF: "I have copies of these prayers. I am reticent to include them here since I'm sure they've been copyrighted, however, I'm willing to send them to anyone individually for the purpose of study."

        I'd be most interested in seeing them for study purposes.

        Rob+

        --
        Father Robert Lyons
        Bargersville, IN