Imposition of ashes separate from Ash Wed liturgies

  • wx5116
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
      I've seen reports of various churches out there doing imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday at times apart from liturgies and at places outside the church. For example, my former TEC Anglo-Catholic parish is doing it from 8-10 am on Ash Wednesday at the nearby Metro station. What do people thing of such?

    • John Dornheim
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
        I have been doing it for about 10 years.
        John Dornheim

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
          Do you provide the standard "Remember that you are dust..." proclamation with the imposition of ashes?  I know of Lutherans and Episcopalians doing this.  What is your experience?

          Frank C. Senn

          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013

            I've seen reports of various churches out there doing imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday at times apart from liturgies and at places outside the church. For example, my former TEC Anglo-Catholic parish is doing it from 8-10 am on Ash Wednesday at the nearby Metro station. What do people thing of such?

            There is a body of opinion that says that the imposition of ashes is a sign of penitence within the Christian community and should never be a in-your-face party assertion of implied sanctity in the "real world".  The Ash Wednesday Gospel is pretty adamant about washing your face.  The best sermon I've ever heard about the humility of the sign closed with an admonition to wipe off the ashes as you left the church and display only humility of heart in the world.

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
              That kind of biblical literalism has kept a lot of Protestants from accepting the imposition of ashes.  I also agree that the optimal use of this rite is after the proclamation of the word and the prayers of penitence.  But I offer a Noon service in my downtown location and some people (e.g. Hispanic workers at the Best Western Hotel across the street) come over and join the line of those coming forward for the imposition of ashes without necessarily being there for the liturgy of the word.  A case can be made that Ash Wednesday proclaims the human condition---we will all die---and need not be limited to Christian believers.  I mean, we're a long way from limiting the imposition of ashes only to those enrolled in the ordo penitentium. Of course, unless people are present for the other end of Lent they don't hear the proclamation of the antidote to the human condition.

              In any event, the "popularity" of the ashes in our society is a remarkable development.

              Frank C. Senn

              I've seen reports of various churches out there doing imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday at times apart from liturgies and at places outside the church. For example, my former TEC Anglo-Catholic parish is doing it from 8-10 am on Ash Wednesday at the nearby Metro station. What do people thing of such?

              There is a body of opinion that says that the imposition of ashes is a sign of penitence within the Christian community and should never be a in-your-face party assertion of implied sanctity in the "real world".  The Ash Wednesday Gospel is pretty adamant about washing your face.  The best sermon I've ever heard about the humility of the sign closed with an admonition to wipe off the ashes as you left the church and display only humility of heart in the world.

            • Michael Thannisch
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                Yes, and we have a brief liturgy Wednesday morning, but at our chapel.

                Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach

                +Mar Michael Abportus
                Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham
                http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/
                http://patriotstatesman.com/
                http://laportemorganspointshoreacresnews.webs.com/
                http://santoeastcemeteryassociation.webs.com/
                204 Sylvan Ave.
                La Porte, TX 77571
                281-867-9081 (home)
                281-867-0335 (office)
                832-266-8153 (mobile)
                281-867-0576 (fax)

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                  But there is another side to this.  Since the Ash Wednesday service is very much a corporate confession, the Ashes on the forehead also represent solidarity with one another, and a reminder that we join together in Lent.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                    I'm leery of imposing ashes outside a liturgy for the reason expressed below as well as it comes across as losing its connection with the liturgy, its "why" factor.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                        And the liturgy doesn't have to be long.  I believe our liturgy, including the liturgy of the word is around 25 minutes.  Of course being a fast day, no communion.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                          Yes, I do. I have never gotten into the alternative.
                          John Dornheim

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                            At the VA medical center where I work, the chief hospital chaplain makes himself available
                            for the imposition of ashes between 11 AM and 1 PM and again 4 PM to 6 PM for the late shift.
                            The location is the entrance to the hospital chapel which is just next to one of the main entrances
                            to the medical center.  He is very busy as a large percentage of the 2,500 employees avail themselves
                            of the service.

                            He uses the same traditional text.

                            David Strang.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                              Thanks Douglas! Just a reminder here that the Eastern Churches do not impose ashes, but have a short service of mutual forgiveness after the (Quinquagesima)Liturgy, where everyone in a line forgives everyone else: "Forgive me, brother/sister!" "God forgives, I forgive". with mutual embraces. Sometimes this is very touching especially when estranged people face each each other, even sometimes, snarky teenagers with their perplexed parents!, or people who had a catastrophic disagreement with the priest or the choir director! I've seen that happen.

                              Thus in our various ways we enter into the Great Fast. Looking forward to it with trepidation and maybe longing. "It's a wonderful time of the year..." as the song goes!

                              Rdr. James Morgan
                              PS Please forgive me even if Eastern Lent is several weeks from now!

                              > I've seen reports of various churches out there doing imposition of ashes on
                              > Ash Wednesday at times apart from liturgies and at places outside the
                              > church. For example, my former TEC Anglo-Catholic parish is doing it from
                              > 8-10 am on Ash Wednesday at the nearby Metro station. What do people thing
                              > of such?
                              >

                              > There is a body of opinion that says that the imposition of ashes is a sign
                              > of penitence within the Christian community and should never be a
                              > in-your-face party assertion of implied sanctity in the "real world". The
                              > Ash Wednesday Gospel is pretty adamant about washing your face. The best
                              > sermon I've ever heard about the humility of the sign closed with an
                              > admonition to wipe off the ashes as you left the church and display only
                              > humility of heart in the world.
                              >
                              > Doug Cowling
                              > Director of Music
                              > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                              > Toronto

                            • James
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 10, 2013
                                Good point, Pastor Frank! I hope that some of the 'non-Lutherans' who got ashes at the beginning persevere to the end and come to your Easter services as they can.

                                Rdr. James

                                --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Frank Senn wrote:

                                > That kind of biblical literalism has kept a lot of Protestants from accepting the imposition of ashes.  I also agree that the optimal use of this rite is after the proclamation of the word and the prayers of penitence.  But I offer a Noon service in my downtown location and some people (e.g. Hispanic workers at the Best Western Hotel across the street) come over and join the line of those coming forward for the imposition of ashes without necessarily being there for the liturgy of the word.  A case can be made that Ash Wednesday proclaims the human condition---we will all die---and need not be limited to Christian believers.  I mean, we're a long way from limiting the imposition of ashes only to those enrolled in the ordo penitentium. Of course, unless people are present for the other end of Lent they don't hear the proclamation of the antidote to the human condition.
                                >
                                > In any event, the "popularity" of the ashes in our society is a remarkable development.
                                >
                                > Frank C. Senn

                              • Jim .
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
                                  My parish has been know to distribute ashes after mass on the First Sunday of Lent......I always defer, saying that if I was to go to the grocery store after mass, I'd look like I hadn't washed my face since last Wednesday.

                                  As far as I know there is not restrictions on where ashes can be imposed. Our archbishop allows extraordinary Eucharistic minister to bring ashes to shut-ins, and, if no one else is available, also distribute them in the church.

                                  To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: dlewisaao@...
                                  Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:16:12 -0500

                                  I've seen reports of various churches out there doing imposition of ashes on Ash Wednesday at times apart from liturgies and at places outside the church. For example, my former TEC Anglo-Catholic parish is doing it from 8-10 am on Ash Wednesday at the nearby Metro station. What do people thing of such?

                                • Margaret metcalf
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
                                    Ahh, but you are missing a wonderful opportunity for evangelism.  I walked into my bank after an AW  noon service one year, approached the teller with my deposit, whereupon she nicely notified me that my forhead was dirty.  Explaination ensued, complete with audience ===

                                    Blessings this Lent, Peggy Metcalf

                                    To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: dlewisaao@...
                                    Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:16:12 -0500

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 11, 2013
                                      "I walked into my bank after an AW noon service one year...."

                                      ...........well, I feel uncomfortable evangelizing AW with a black smudge on my face four days after the event.

                                      To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: mlfm1943@...
                                      Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:45:00 -0800

                                      To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com