Imposition of Ashes

  • Emil Salim
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
      Greetings,

      I've been a lurker for a long time, but have learned a lot from the discussions here. Just a simple question from me now: in the Anglican tradition, would it be permissible for lay ministers to impose ashes during the Ash Wednesday service? If the answer is positive, the argument can't simply be "because it is not a sacrament", for other non-sacramental ceremonies in the church (e.g., matrimony) are still performed only by a priest. Thank you.

      pax tecum,
      Emil
    • William Renwick
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
        HI Emil: can't answer your question, but great to see you here!

        On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 08:48:50 +0700
        Emil Salim <pilsup@...> wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I've been a lurker for a long time, but have learned a lot from the
        > discussions here. Just a simple question from me now: in the Anglican
        > tradition, would it be permissible for lay ministers to impose ashes during
        > the Ash Wednesday service? If the answer is positive, the argument can't
        > simply be "because it is not a sacrament", for other non-sacramental
        > ceremonies in the church (e.g., matrimony) are still performed only by a
        > priest. Thank you.
        >
        > pax tecum,
        > Emil

        William Renwick
        renwick@...
        School of the Arts
        McMaster University
        Hamilton Ontario CANADA L8S 4M2 http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~renwick/wr.htm
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
          Interesting question! In the USA, the 1979 Book of Common Prayer doesn't actually specify who imposes the ashes: (p. 265)

          If ashes are to be imposed, the Celebrant says the following prayer:

          [text of the prayer]

          The ashes are imposed with the following words:

          Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

          ...So the passive voice here tells me the door is open to priests other than the Celebrant, to deacons, and to lay people to impose the ashes. The rubric could easily have said, "The Celebrant [and assisting priests] impose the ashes with the following words," but it doesn't.

          On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Emil Salim <pilsup@...> wrote:

          Greetings,

          I've been a lurker for a long time, but have learned a lot from the discussions here. Just a simple question from me now: in the Anglican tradition, would it be permissible for lay ministers to impose ashes during the Ash Wednesday service? If the answer is positive, the argument can't simply be "because it is not a sacrament", for other non-sacramental ceremonies in the church (e.g., matrimony) are still performed only by a priest. Thank you.

          pax tecum,
          Emil

        • Jim .
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2013

            RCC allows extraordinary (lay) Eucharistic ministers to impose ashes.

            To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
              Hi Scott,

              This is a side question: in 1979 BCP, it seems that if there is no Communion following the imposition of ashes, the service ends with the Peace being exchanged. Is this correct? It just feels a little too abrupt to me. Thank you.

              Emil

              On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Scott Knitter <scott.knitter@...> wrote:

              Interesting question! In the USA, the 1979 Book of Common Prayer doesn't actually specify who imposes the ashes: (p. 265)

              If ashes are to be imposed, the Celebrant says the following prayer:

              [text of the prayer]

              The ashes are imposed with the following words:

              Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

              ...So the passive voice here tells me the door is open to priests other than the Celebrant, to deacons, and to lay people to impose the ashes. The rubric could easily have said, "The Celebrant [and assisting priests] impose the ashes with the following words," but it doesn't.

            • George Carlson
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013

                That’s the way I read the rubrics too, though I have never attended an Imposition (in a church) that was not followed by Communion.,  Perhaps others can comment on “street” imposition.

                George Carlson

                St. Paul’s, TEC

                Murfreesboro, TN