Candlemas: blessing candles for the whole year?

  • wx5116
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2013
      Here's a posting from St Matthew Cathedral (RC) in DC that may add to the discussion on this topic:

      Saturday, February 2 is the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord, a joyful event told in the second chapter of the Gospel of Luke. “Led by the Spirit, Simeon and Anna came to the temple, recognized Christ as their Lord, and proclaimed him with joy.” On this feast celebrating Christ, the light to the nations, enough candles are blessed to last the whole year. At St. Matthew’s, candles will be blessed at the 8am Mass with words that remind us that Jesus’ presentation fulfilled the law of Moses and at the same time signified his going out to meet his faithful people. Let us be like Simeon and Anna, recognizing Christ’s presence and carrying His light to every corner of our lives!

    • Jim .
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
        I would like to know how the blessing of candles inter-mixed with the presentation of the first-born Jesus in the Temple?
        How do candles relate to this?

        To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
        From: dlewisaao@...
        Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:26:07 -0500
        Subject: [liturgy-l] Candlemas: blessing candles for the whole year?

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 2, 2013
          "... A light to enlighten the Gentiles."

          To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
          From: dlewisaao@...
          Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:26:07 -0500

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 3, 2013

            Because of Simeon’s song, the Nunc dimittis, in the Gospel reading, which proclaimed Jesus as “a light to the nations” and “the glory of your people Israel,” it has been customary to hold a candlelight procession and to bless the church’s supply of candles.  Hence, the feast has also been known as Candlemas.

            Frank C. Senn

            To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
            From: dlewisaao@...
            Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:26:07 -0500

            Here's a posting from St Matthew Cathedral (RC) in DC that may add to the discussion on this topic:

            Saturday, February 2 is the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord, a joyful event told in the second chapter of the Gospel of Luke. “Led by the Spirit, Simeon and Anna came to the temple, recognized Christ as their Lord, and proclaimed him with joy.” On this feast celebrating Christ, the light to the nations, enough candles are blessed to last the whole year. At St. Matthew’s, candles will be blessed at the 8am Mass with words that remind us that Jesus’ presentation fulfilled the law of Moses and at the same time signified his going out to meet his faithful people. Let us be like Simeon and Anna, recognizing Christ’s presence and carrying His light to every corner of our lives!

          • Dwight
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 3, 2013
              When are the candles carried in procession extinguished? We at Mount Olive can't quite get this rightl.

              Peace
              Dwight Penas
              Minneapolis
              ____________________________
              As I read the birth stories about Jesus I cannot help but conclude that though the world may be tilted toward the rich and powerful, God is tilted toward the underdog. -- Philip Yancey

              To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
              From: dlewisaao@...
              Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:26:07 -0500

              Here's a posting from St Matthew Cathedral (RC) in DC that may add to the discussion on this topic:

              Saturday, February 2 is the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord, a joyful event told in the second chapter of the Gospel of Luke. “Led by the Spirit, Simeon and Anna came to the temple, recognized Christ as their Lord, and proclaimed him with joy.” On this feast celebrating Christ, the light to the nations, enough candles are blessed to last the whole year. At St. Matthew’s, candles will be blessed at the 8am Mass with words that remind us that Jesus’ presentation fulfilled the law of Moses and at the same time signified his going out to meet his faithful people. Let us be like Simeon and Anna, recognizing Christ’s presence and carrying His light to every corner of our lives!

            • Sean W. Reed

                To: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
                From: dlewisaao@...
                Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:26:07 -0500

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 3, 2013
                  From: "Sean W. Reed" <anglican@...>

                  After the Gospel.

                  Candles are lit three times:

                  1) Before the procession, extinguished before the Introit begins.

                  2) During the alleluia, extinguished after the Gospel.

                  3) During the Preface, extinguished after the first ablution.

                  And don't forget to come back on St.Blaise's Day, Feb 3, for the Blessing of Throats by two candles held like a cross to the throat.

                  "Take two candles and call me in the morning."

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 3, 2013
                    On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Douglas Cowling
                    <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

                    > 3) During the Preface, extinguished after the first ablution.

                    We extinguished after the Lord's Prayer.

                    > And don't forget to come back on St.Blaise's Day, Feb 3, for the Blessing
                    > of Throats by two candles held like a cross to the throat.

                    We combined these today, observing the "external solemnity," though
                    there's no such term in Anglican sources.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 3, 2013
                      On 2/3/13 7:36 PM, "Scott Knitter" <scott.knitter@...> wrote:

                      >We combined these today, observing the "external solemnity," though
                      >there's no such term in Anglican sources.

                      Both?!!! Gasp!

                      WHO devised that hair-brained and utterly untraditional idea!

                      Quick, a cold maniple for my fevered brow!

                    • wx5116
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 3, 2013
                        Does #3 really work, given what people are doing during that space of time?

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 3, 2013
                          Date: Sunday, February 3, 2013 8:06 PM
                          To: Liturgy-Well-Done <liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com>
                          Subject: Re: [liturgy-l] Candlemas: Lighting & Extinguishing

                          Does #3 really work, given what people are doing during that space of time?

                          Well, they certainly shouldn't be receiving the Sacrament!

                        • dawuk2001
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 3, 2013
                            It isn't a solemnity so how can you keep an external solemnity?

                            From: Scott Knitter <scott.knitter@...>
                            Sender: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 18:36:15 -0600
                            To: <liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com>
                            ReplyTo: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com

                            cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

                            > 3) During the Preface, extinguished after the first ablution.

                            We extinguished after the Lord's Prayer.

                            > And don't forget to come back on St.Blaise's Day, Feb 3, for the Blessing
                            > of Throats by two candles held like a cross to the throat.

                            We combined these today, observing the "external solemnity," though
                            there's no such term in Anglican sources.

                          • James
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                              Just make sure the crossed candles on the throat are NOT lit! Like one priest I knew....he almost set ladies' hair on fire!!

                              Rdr. James

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                                Not to mention hot wax down the neck. =|8^O

                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                                  Ah! another use for the maniple, for those who have foregone the real use of such!

                                  thanks, Doug!

                                  Rdr. james
                                  PS we easterners don't have them, only cuffs...

                                  --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling wrote:

                                  > On 2/3/13 7:36 PM, "Scott Knitter" wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >We combined these today, observing the "external solemnity," though
                                  > >there's no such term in Anglican sources.
                                  >
                                  > Both?!!! Gasp!
                                  >
                                  > WHO devised that hair-brained and utterly untraditional idea!
                                  >
                                  > Quick, a cold maniple for my fevered brow!
                                  >
                                  > Doug Cowling
                                  > Director of Music
                                  > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                                  > Toronto

                                • wx5116
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                                    My throat was blessed yesterday by unlit candles - have heard that the (arguably) ideal way would be to light them but ...

                                    In a message dated 2/4/2013 8:15:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, rdrjames@... writes:
                                    Just make sure the crossed candles on the throat are NOT lit! Like one priest I knew....he almost set ladies' hair on fire!!

                                    Rdr. James

                                    > 1) Before the procession, extinguished before the Introit begins.
                                    >
                                    > 2) During the alleluia, extinguished after the Gospel.
                                    >
                                    > 3) During the Preface, extinguished after the first ablution.
                                    >
                                    > And don't forget to come back on St.Blaise's Day, Feb 3, for the Blessing of
                                    > Throats by two candles held like a cross to the throat.
                                    >
                                    > "Take two candles and call me in the morning."
                                    >
                                    > Doug Cowling
                                    > Director of Music
                                    > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                                    > Toronto

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                        liturgy-l-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                        liturgy-l-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • James
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                                      Picky, picky you! How does one differentiate between an 'external' and and 'internal' solemnity? or even an 'eternal' one?

                                      Rdr. james

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                                        I agree with you, but I think it's because we're "transferring the
                                        solemnity" of the feast to another day, if that makes any sense.
                                        Solemnity in a generic sense, not as the specific Roman Catholic term
                                        for the highest-ranked sort of feast.

                                        Personally, I'd prefer sticking with terms the BCP uses.

                                        Interesting that the Presentation is one of the "Other Feasts of Our
                                        Lord" that join the seven Principal Feasts in taking precedence of a
                                        Sunday and over all other days of commemoration or special observance.
                                        (BCP 1979, p. 16) So in effect, The Holy Name, The Presentation, and
                                        The Transfiguration are equal to Christmas, Easter, Trinity,
                                        Pentecost, All Saints, Ascension, and Epiphany: they all take
                                        precedence of a Sunday and they all have an Eve (First Evensong in the
                                        Daily Office). So I guess if someone wanted to call all those
                                        top-ranked feasts "solemnities," that would be the list.

                                        I hadn't noticed before that our BCP treats those three "Other Feasts
                                        of Our Lord" essentially the same as the Principal Feasts. The only
                                        difference is that they're listed in group 3, Holy Days, on p. 16.
                                        Perhaps they're liturgically at the same level but needn't be observed
                                        with the same degree of don't-miss urgency as the Principal Feasts
                                        (although some parishes go ahead and miss All Saints, Ascension,
                                        and/or Epiphany when they're not on a Sunday).

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 4, 2013
                                          My impression is that in the Catholic Church this feast does not transfer anyway - it is celebrated on February 2.  If it occurs on a Sunday, it would be observed on that day, unless I am really missing something.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 5, 2013
                                            Yes, that is correct. Also, because it is a feast, it cannot be observed as an external solemnity. The RC liturgical books do provide a 1st evening prayer and 3 readings for mass BUT this provision is only used when 2nd Feb falls on a Sunday.

                                            From: dlewisaao@...
                                            Sender: liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com
                                            Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 22:19:37 -0500 (EST)
                                            To: <liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com>

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 5, 2013
                                              And I don't think our BCP actually allows for our transfer of the
                                              feast to a Sunday. (I'm not complaining; it was wonderful.)