Re: [liturgy-l] Two-tier masses?

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
      But overall the Eastern Uniates are part of the same Catholic Church, while having different liturgical expressions.

      In a message dated 11/24/2012 7:39:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, cowling.douglas@... writes:

      On 11/24/12 7:12 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

      Cowling! For the win!

      Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I’m interested in the apparent rise of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups “competing” in a diverse parish marketplace. That has always been for me a mark of the dynamism of development in the Anglican church and appears to be manifesting itself in Catholic practice. I’m also wary of statements like “one theology: many rites.”  The Eastern uniate churches have very different ecclesiologies even though they have a Western juridical overlay.

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
        Of course, the English Anglo-Catholic use of RC missalettes isn't really Anglican Patrimony anyway ...

        In a message dated 11/24/2012 6:14:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, cowling.douglas@... writes:

        On 11/24/12 5:14 PM, "Sean Reed" <anglican@...> wrote:

        It's particularly encouraging to see him say that the Rite II language will be suppressed.

        Selective Patrimony.

      • James
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 25, 2012
          But remember that the various eastern Orthodox bodies respect each others' episcopates, and have the same ecclesiologies and concelabrate frequently (greek, russian antiochian etc), and even share episcopates and priestly clergy now and then. Just sayin'!

          rdr. James Morgan

          --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

          > On 11/24/12 7:12 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Cowling! For the win!
          > >
          > Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I¹m interested in the apparent rise
          > of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups
          > ³competing² in a diverse parish marketplace. That has always been for me a
          > mark of the dynamism of development in the Anglican church and appears to be
          > manifesting itself in Catholic practice. I¹m also wary of statements like
          > ³one theology: many rites.² The Eastern uniate churches have very different
          > ecclesiologies even though they have a Western juridical overlay.
          >
          > Doug Cowling
          > Director of Music
          > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
          > Toronto

        • Ian Gomersall
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 5, 2012
            I too have doubts about the 'many liturgies, one theology' approach.

            Doesn't the liturgical difference produce in itself different theologies? Differering ways of speaking of God - theologies.

            The ordinaritae rite comes from a different theological background to, say, the rite of the Uniate Armenians. I suspect that will lead to different theological outlooks if not different theologies.

            Similarly the theology of Opus Dei - to an outsider - seems rather different from the theology of some RC priests in latin America, or have a missed a point there?

            Ian

            Tips for longevity from a 90yr old. On our church blog: www.stchrysostoms.wordpress.com

            --

            Ian Gomersall