Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [liturgy-l] Two-tier masses?

Expand Messages
  • Lewis Whitaker
    Cowling! For the win!
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      Cowling! For the win!




      On Nov 24, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

      Re: [liturgy-l] Two-tier masses?On 11/24/12 5:14 PM, "Sean Reed" <anglican@...> wrote:

      It's particularly encouraging to see him say that the Rite II language will be suppressed.

      Selective Patrimony.

      Doug Cowling
      Director of Music
      St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
      Toronto

    • Douglas Cowling
      ... Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I¹m interested in the apparent rise of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        Re: [liturgy-l] Two-tier masses? On 11/24/12 7:12 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

        Cowling! For the win!

        Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I’m interested in the apparent rise of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups “competing” in a diverse parish marketplace. That has always been for me a mark of the dynamism of development in the Anglican church and appears to be manifesting itself in Catholic practice. I’m also wary of statements like “one theology: many rites.”  The Eastern uniate churches have very different ecclesiologies even though they have a Western juridical overlay.

        Doug Cowling
        Director of Music
        St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
        Toronto



      • Lewis Whitaker
        And it does fly in the face of Pio Nono s heavy handed insistence on liturgical uniformity in the 19th century. Plus ca change... ... And it does fly in the
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          And it does fly in the face of Pio Nono's heavy handed insistence on liturgical uniformity in the 19th century. Plus ca change...




          On Nov 24, 2012, at 7:39 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

          Re: [liturgy-l] Two-tier masses?On 11/24/12 7:12 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

          Cowling! For the win!

          Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I’m interested in the apparent rise of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups “competing” in a diverse parish marketplace. That has always been for me a mark of the dynamism of development in the Anglican church and appears to be manifesting itself in Catholic practice. I’m also wary of statements like “one theology: many rites.”  The Eastern uniate churches have very different ecclesiologies even though they have a Western juridical overlay.

          Doug Cowling
          Director of Music
          St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
          Toronto



        • dlewisaao@aol.com
          But overall the Eastern Uniates are part of the same Catholic Church, while having different liturgical expressions. David ... David Lewis dlewisaao@aol.com In
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            But overall the Eastern Uniates are part of the same Catholic Church, while having different liturgical expressions.
             
            David
             
            ---------------------------
            David Lewis
            dlewisaao@...
             
            In a message dated 11/24/2012 7:39:46 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, cowling.douglas@... writes:


            On 11/24/12 7:12 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

            Cowling! For the win!

            Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I’m interested in the apparent rise of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups “competing” in a diverse parish marketplace. That has always been for me a mark of the dynamism of development in the Anglican church and appears to be manifesting itself in Catholic practice. I’m also wary of statements like “one theology: many rites.”  The Eastern uniate churches have very different ecclesiologies even though they have a Western juridical overlay.

            Doug Cowling
            Director of Music
            St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
            Toronto



          • dlewisaao@aol.com
            Of course, the English Anglo-Catholic use of RC missalettes isn t really Anglican Patrimony anyway ... David ... David Lewis dlewisaao@aol.com In a message
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              Of course, the English Anglo-Catholic use of RC missalettes isn't really Anglican Patrimony anyway ...
               
              David
               
              ---------------------------
              David Lewis
              dlewisaao@...
               
              In a message dated 11/24/2012 6:14:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, cowling.douglas@... writes:


              On 11/24/12 5:14 PM, "Sean Reed" <anglican@...> wrote:

              It's particularly encouraging to see him say that the Rite II language will be suppressed.

              Selective Patrimony.

              Doug Cowling
              Director of Music
              St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
              Toronto

            • James
              But remember that the various eastern Orthodox bodies respect each others episcopates, and have the same ecclesiologies and concelabrate frequently (greek,
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 25, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                But remember that the various eastern Orthodox bodies respect each others' episcopates, and have the same ecclesiologies and concelabrate frequently (greek, russian antiochian etc), and even share episcopates and priestly clergy now and then. Just sayin'!

                rdr. James Morgan


                --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:
                >
                > On 11/24/12 7:12 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Cowling! For the win!
                > >
                > Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I¹m interested in the apparent rise
                > of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups
                > ³competing² in a diverse parish marketplace. That has always been for me a
                > mark of the dynamism of development in the Anglican church and appears to be
                > manifesting itself in Catholic practice. I¹m also wary of statements like
                > ³one theology: many rites.² The Eastern uniate churches have very different
                > ecclesiologies even though they have a Western juridical overlay.
                >
                > Doug Cowling
                > Director of Music
                > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                > Toronto
                >
              • Ian Gomersall
                I too have doubts about the many liturgies, one theology approach. Doesn t the liturgical difference produce in itself different theologies? Differering ways
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 5, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  I too have doubts about the 'many liturgies, one theology' approach.

                  Doesn't the liturgical difference produce in itself different theologies? Differering ways of speaking of God - theologies.

                  The ordinaritae rite comes from a different theological background to, say, the rite of the Uniate Armenians. I suspect that will lead to different theological outlooks if not different theologies.

                  Similarly the theology of Opus Dei - to an outsider - seems rather different from the theology of some RC priests in latin America, or have a missed a point there?

                  Ian

                  Tips for longevity from a 90yr old. On our church blog: www.stchrysostoms.wordpress.com



                  On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:56 AM, James <rdrjames@...> wrote:
                   

                  But remember that the various eastern Orthodox bodies respect each others' episcopates, and have the same ecclesiologies and concelabrate frequently (greek, russian antiochian etc), and even share episcopates and priestly clergy now and then. Just sayin'!

                  rdr. James Morgan

                  --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:


                  >
                  > On 11/24/12 7:12 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Cowling! For the win!
                  > >
                  > Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I¹m interested in the apparent rise
                  > of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups
                  > ³competing² in a diverse parish marketplace. That has always been for me a
                  > mark of the dynamism of development in the Anglican church and appears to be
                  > manifesting itself in Catholic practice. I¹m also wary of statements like
                  > ³one theology: many rites.² The Eastern uniate churches have very different
                  > ecclesiologies even though they have a Western juridical overlay.
                  >
                  > Doug Cowling
                  > Director of Music
                  > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                  > Toronto
                  >




                  --

                  Ian Gomersall

                  Have a look at our church blog: www.stchrysostoms.wordpress.com


                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.