Two-tier masses?

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 23, 2012
      I thought this was an odd statement from the local Toronto ordinariate
      parish:

      "Our Masses begin at 1:45pm ... and fulfil the Sunday obligation for all
      Catholics, regardless of whether or not they are of an Anglican background."

      Question to our Catholic listers: what is the perception among average
      pew-dwellers about ordinariate masses?

    • Sean W. Reed
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 23, 2012
        In many places they have no clue what an Ordinariate parish means, and a most frequent question is does the Ordinariate Mass fulfill a Catholic's Sunday obligation.

        It's quite logical to mention this publicly given the confusion on the ground.

        SWR

        Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
            Re: [liturgy-l] Two-tier masses? Hello Lewis,

            That says a lot.

            Care to elaborate?

            --
            Best regards,
             Robert
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
              Since the Second Vatican Council, particularly in the US, the Roman Catholic family has only been exposed to the Novus Ordo, or a limited exposure to the extra-ordinary form in Latin.

              Now, there is a vernacular for of Mass that bridges the gap in a way between the two- it doesn't "seem right!"

              SWR

              Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
                  Re: [liturgy-l] Two-tier masses? On 11/24/12 3:53 PM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

                  It sure seems right to me - I now go to Masses celebrated per Anglican Use, the Extraordinary Form in Latin and Novus Ordo in English and occasionally in Latin!  A friend who is Ukrainian Rite says that the advent of the Ordinariate affords him another liturgy within the Catholic family.

                          What is the status of the question that a uniform rite will shortly be imposed on all Anglican Use and Ordinariate parishes, especially regarding the new translation of the mass and thereby inhibiting many of the modern translations of the Ordinary drawn from the 1979 American BCP Rite Two and extensively revising the 1662 texts of Rite One?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
                    Others may have a better answer to this, but right now the Anglican Use liturgy is supposed to be used in Ordinariate parishes.  The Eucharistic Prayer included is pretty much the Roman Canon.  In the fullness of time, there will be an updated liturgy.

                    Where things will get interesting is that in the UK there is heavy use of RC Missalettes, whereas in the US the predominant form would be in traditional language.  It may be that traditional and modern language liturgies will emerge.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
                            Re: [liturgy-l] Two-tier masses? On 11/24/12 5:14 PM, "Sean Reed" <anglican@...> wrote:

                            It's particularly encouraging to see him say that the Rite II language will be suppressed.

                            Selective Patrimony.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
                              Cowling! For the win!

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
                                Re: [liturgy-l] Two-tier masses? On 11/24/12 7:12 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

                                Cowling! For the win!

                                Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I’m interested in the apparent rise of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups “competing” in a diverse parish marketplace. That has always been for me a mark of the dynamism of development in the Anglican church and appears to be manifesting itself in Catholic practice. I’m also wary of statements like “one theology: many rites.”  The Eastern uniate churches have very different ecclesiologies even though they have a Western juridical overlay.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
                                  And it does fly in the face of Pio Nono's heavy handed insistence on liturgical uniformity in the 19th century. Plus ca change...

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
                                    But overall the Eastern Uniates are part of the same Catholic Church, while having different liturgical expressions.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 24, 2012
                                      Of course, the English Anglo-Catholic use of RC missalettes isn't really Anglican Patrimony anyway ...

                                      In a message dated 11/24/2012 6:14:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, cowling.douglas@... writes:

                                      On 11/24/12 5:14 PM, "Sean Reed" <anglican@...> wrote:

                                      It's particularly encouraging to see him say that the Rite II language will be suppressed.

                                      Selective Patrimony.

                                    • James
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 25, 2012
                                        But remember that the various eastern Orthodox bodies respect each others' episcopates, and have the same ecclesiologies and concelabrate frequently (greek, russian antiochian etc), and even share episcopates and priestly clergy now and then. Just sayin'!

                                        rdr. James Morgan

                                        --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

                                        > On 11/24/12 7:12 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Cowling! For the win!
                                        > >
                                        > Actually, to get this back to liturgy, I¹m interested in the apparent rise
                                        > of liturgical pluralism in the Catholic Latin church with various groups
                                        > ³competing² in a diverse parish marketplace. That has always been for me a
                                        > mark of the dynamism of development in the Anglican church and appears to be
                                        > manifesting itself in Catholic practice. I¹m also wary of statements like
                                        > ³one theology: many rites.² The Eastern uniate churches have very different
                                        > ecclesiologies even though they have a Western juridical overlay.
                                        >
                                        > Doug Cowling
                                        > Director of Music
                                        > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                                        > Toronto

                                      • Ian Gomersall
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 5, 2012
                                          I too have doubts about the 'many liturgies, one theology' approach.

                                          Doesn't the liturgical difference produce in itself different theologies? Differering ways of speaking of God - theologies.

                                          The ordinaritae rite comes from a different theological background to, say, the rite of the Uniate Armenians. I suspect that will lead to different theological outlooks if not different theologies.

                                          Similarly the theology of Opus Dei - to an outsider - seems rather different from the theology of some RC priests in latin America, or have a missed a point there?

                                          Ian

                                          Tips for longevity from a 90yr old. On our church blog: www.stchrysostoms.wordpress.com

                                          --

                                          Ian Gomersall