Re: [liturgy-l] Anticipating feasts

    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 15, 2012
      Very true - so long as the feast lands on a Sunday but not on the day after.

      In a message dated 8/15/2012 12:03:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wisne1dm@... writes:
      There's also this rubric on p. 16 of the 1979 BCP:

      "When desired, however, the Collect, Preface, and one or more of the Lessons appointed for the Feast may be substituted for those of the Sunday, but not from the Last Sunday after Pentecost through the First Sunday after the Epiphany, or from the Last Sunday after the Epiphany through Trinity Sunday."

      This would seem to allow such a transference, maybe not technically in name, but in everything else.

      Dave Wisner

      On Aug 14, 2012, at 8:22 PM, Scott Knitter wrote:

      I understand the answer to be No, as there appears to be no provision
      for that, and transfers are described as going forward from a Sunday
      to an open day in the week. A church called Church of the
      Transfiguration, however, could observe its feast of title by
      observing it on, or transferring it to, a Sunday. Doesn't say which
      direction.

      Otherwise the only provision I see for moving Transfiguration backward
      to Sunday would be this on p. 16:

      "With the express permission of the bishop, and for urgent and
      sufficient reason, some other special occasion may be observed on a
      Sunday."

      I wouldn't blame a bishop for saying, "No, please observe the Sunday,
      as we already have the Transfiguration lessons just before Lent, so
      there's nothing urgent and sufficient justifying a move of
      Transfiguration backward to the Sunday before August 6."

      On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM, <dlewisaao@...<mailto:dlewisaao%40aol.com>> wrote:

      > But the question remains: this year, the Transfiguration fell on a Monday
      > - can it licitly be transferred backward, i.e., anticipated, on the Sunday
      > immediately preceding? There is no question about when the Transfiguration,
      > or feasts of similar or higher import, lands on a Sunday.
      >
      > David
      >
      > ---------------------------
      > David Lewis
      > dlewisaao@...<mailto:dlewisaao%40aol.com>
      >
      > In a message dated 8/14/2012 8:07:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > scott.knitter@...<mailto:scott.knitter%40gmail.com> writes:
      >
      > The Episcopal Church (USA) 1979 BCP (pp. 15-16) gives the following as
      > taking precedence of a Sunday:
      >
      > Principal Feasts on Fixed Dates:
      > All Saints' Day, Nov. 1
      > Christmas Day, Dec. 25
      > The Epiphany, Jan. 6
      >
      > Major Feasts That Take Precedence of a Sunday (Major Feasts of Our Lord):
      > The Holy Name, Jan. 1
      > The Presentation, Feb. 2
      > The Transfiguration, Aug. 6
      >
      > Other Observances That May Be Observed on a Sunday:
      > Dedication of a Church
      > Patronal Feast
      > Feast of Title
      >
      > My theory is that all Feasts of Our Lord take either are already on a
      > Sunday (Baptism of Our Lord) or take precedence if they land on a
      > Sunday (Holy Name, Presentation, Transfiguration). Everything else:
      > feasts of the BVM, of apostles, evangelists, etc. -- are transferred
      > if they land on a Sunday. It could be argued, IMHO, that the Last
      > Sunday After the Epiphany could handle the observance of the
      > Transfiguration, as the Last Sunday Before Advent handles the
      > observance of Christ the King (Reign of Christ). The BCP compilers
      > seem to have been reluctant to attach those names to those Sundays.

      > To write to the moderators, please email:
      > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comYahoo<mailto:liturgy-l-owner%40yahoogroups.comYahoo>! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          liturgy-l-digest@yahoogroups.com
          liturgy-l-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • dollpka
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 21, 2012
        In the Orthodox Church, Annunciation is never transferred, even if it falls on Pascha itself. In fact this happened most recently in 1991. It is also called Kyriopascha.
        A caveat is that this can currently only occur in those churches which use the Julian calendar for the monthly feasts, i.e. the "old calendar".

        Regards,
        Kenneth Doll