Re: [liturgy-l] Mitred Abbot?

  • David J Strang
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
      The latest newsletter from Clear Creek Abbey in Oklahoma, USA shows a clerical procession
      entering the sanctuary of the new Abbey Church.  The Abbey is only half completed, and there
      is a temporary roof in place.  Still, it looks quite impressive, and I'm sure is an improvement over
      the crypt church the monks had been using.

      I was struck by the very long vestments for the entire clergy party, including the Abbot, who
      appeared to be wearing a very full and long chasuble.  There aren't any ankles showing
      anywhere.   The habits of the Benedictine monks in their stalls/seats are also very long, and
      appear to be touching the floor.

      The Abbot is wearing a smallish mitre and is carrying a crozier.  The mitre is unlike the rather
      tall mitres favored by RC diocesan bishops.  Does a mitred abbot pontificate liturgically?

      Are these monastic habits characteristic of the Benedictine Order, in particular those descended
      from Solesmes and Fontgambault?

      David Strang.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2012
        Re: [liturgy-l] Mitred Abbot? On 6/1/12 6:43 PM, "David J Strang" <davidjstrang@...> wrote:

        Are these monastic habits characteristic of the Benedictine Order, in particular those descended from Solesmes and Fontgambault?

        French liturgists were promoting a return to the fuller patristic styles of vestments long before the Second Vatican Council.

        Viz Matisse’s chasubles for St. Paul-de-Vence.
        http://dvoloshinov.selfip.net/pictures/MATISSE/index_2.htm

        The French have always had fuller vestments: you see the monks of St. Benoit-du-Lac wearing the same habits.

        I think it’s French couturier sensibility. My wife and I were vastly amused at the Easter Vigil at St. Jean-de-Malte in Aix-en-Provence. Each of the baptismal candidtes was dressed in white albs which were impeccably cut and tailored to suit each person.