Unbelievable

  • Michael T. Hiller
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2012
      You all might find this new Eucharistic Tool a bit unsettling:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTQ7YtmM7c

      The Rev. Fr. Michael T. Hiller Phone: 415.468.1001 Cell: 415.999.8606
      Email: priestly@... Website: http://www.hillerleiturgia.com
    • Kevin Riley
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2012
        Why????  I am sure there are other questions, but I can't get past that one.

        On 2/05/2012 8:48 AM, Michael T. Hiller wrote:

        You all might find this new Eucharistic Tool a bit unsettling:

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTQ7YtmM7c

        The Rev. Fr. Michael T. Hiller Phone: 415.468.1001 Cell: 415.999.8606
        Email: priestly@... Website: http://www.hillerleiturgia.com

        No virus found in this message.

        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2012
          Yes, I do.  Why would one want to do this?

          In a message dated 5/1/2012 6:48:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, priestly@... writes:
          You all might find this new Eucharistic Tool a bit unsettling:

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTQ7YtmM7c

          The Rev. Fr. Michael T. Hiller Phone: 415.468.1001 Cell: 415.999.8606
          Email: priestly@... Website: http://www.hillerleiturgia.com

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              liturgy-l-digest@yahoogroups.com
              liturgy-l-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Robert White
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2012
            Re: [liturgy-l] Unbelievable Tuesday, May 1, 2012, 8:42:40 PM,dlewisaao@... wrote:

            Yes, I do. Why would one want to do this?

            If you don't find the video bemusing enough, poke around here for a bit:

            http://puritycommunion.org/

            --
            Best regards,
             Bob White

            It has been said that though God cannot alter the past,
            historians can; it is perhaps because they can be useful to Him
            in this respect that He tolerates their existence.
            -- Samuel Bulter--Erewhon Revisited

              Message 6 of 17 , May 1, 2012
                Re: [liturgy-l] Infection & the Common Cup On 5/1/12 9:17 PM, "dlewisaao@..." <dlewisaao@...> wrote:

                Unless I'm totally missing something, receiving Communion is not exactly a major way to receive disease.  This contraption is coming from a company the motive of which is to make $ on a misconception.

                The Anglican Diocese of Toronto commissioned a medical study after the SARS scare in Toronto – the only time since the cholera epidemic of 1843 that the bishop decreed that the common cup be withheld.

                The study showed that there was not a significant health threat from the common cup as routinely administered in Anglican churches.

                However, the report sounded a warning against the practice of communicants intincting their own bread in the cup.  The practice has become widespread because of a grave misconception that it provides protection against infection. In fact, it is fingers touching the rim and wine which produces real threats for the transmission of germs. The College of Bishops prohibited intinction, but the practice is still widespread, particularly among parents who think they are protecting their children. In fact, the fingers of their children are endangering their own and public health.

              • John Schultz

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1, 2012

                    No joke.  Plenty of money has been made (and not just in the recent past) selling solutions to perceived problems …  The reality is that the most infectious places on earth, regardless of country, are schools (and other places that children are found in large numbers).  I was maintenance director for a large K-12 school district and while we could provide filtration in the HVAC system that made the interior drastically lower in pollens, molds, etc. in the outside atmosphere the only thing that routinely ran many, many times the level of outside air was human biologicals.

                    In omnibus pax,

                    George Carlson

                    St. Paul’s (TEC), Murfreesboro, TN

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 1, 2012
                      Definately unsettling.  I like the comment referring to it as a Pez ( A type of candy dispenser).

                      Of course we don't even use hosts, just a loaf that we divide.

                      Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach

                      +Mar Michael Abportus
                      Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham
                      http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/
                      http://patriotstatesman.com/
                      http://laportemorganspointshoreacresnews.webs.com/
                      http://santoeastcemeteryassociation.webs.com/
                      204 Sylvan Ave.
                      La Porte, TX 77571
                      281-867-9081 (home)
                      281-867-0335 (office)
                      832-266-8153 (mobile)
                      281-867-0576 (fax)

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 5, 2012
                          What a riot. Someone brought an ad for this to Worship Committee a couple months ago. We weren't sure whether to laugh or cry. What has possessed the Church? If you are that frightened of germs, for God's sake, stay home!

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 5, 2012
                            Re: [liturgy-l] Unbelievable Saturday, May 5, 2012, 9:35:29 AM,Dwight Penas wrote:

                            What a riot. Someone brought an ad for this to Worship Committee a couple months ago. We weren't sure whether to laugh or cry. What has possessed the Church? If you are that frightened of germs, for God's sake, stay home

                            Robert Jenson (Lutheran Theologian at Gettysburg when I was there) in conversation of this sort, generally around the use of a common cup in those days, told us that one of the unavoidable risks of intimate involvement with others is "that you might catch something."

                            1991 council minutes of the congregation in which I am currently doing interim note that in the course of possilbe transmission of AIDS by children, the pastor noted that there seemed no reports of that occurring and  “emphasized that the most charitable response to a sick person coming to our church would be kind, Christian concern, and encouragement and support.”

                            --
                            Best regards,
                             Bob White

                            Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.
                            - Martin Luther King Jr.

                          • David J Strang
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 6, 2012

                              * * *
                              Minnesota’s Ten Largest Lutheran Congregations:

                              Mount Olivet, Minneapolis, 14,389 members. 5,775 (avg.) at worship. 10 clergy on staff.

                              Prince of Peace, Burns-ville, 10,500 members, 4,000 at worship. 5 clergy on staff.

                              St. Andrew, Eden Prairie, 9,556 members. 1,592 at worship. 5 clergy on staff.

                              St. Andrew, Mahtomedi, 9,125 members. 2,823 at worship. 6 clergy on staff.

                              North Heights, Arden Hills/ Roseville, 8,900 members. 4,000 at worship. 6 clergy on staff.

                              Zion, Anoka, 7,911 members. 1,439 at worship. 5 clergy on staff.

                              Shepherd of the Valley, Apple Valley, 7,598 members. 2,110 at worship. 6 clergy on staff.

                              Calvary, Golden Valley, 6,614 members. 2,287 at worship. 6 clergy on staff.

                              Lord of Life, Maple Grove, 6,592 members. 1,625 at worship. 4 clergy on staff.

                              Hosanna!, Lakeville, 5,387 members. 4,057 at worship. 3 clergy on staff

                              (Except for North Heights, which is independent, all are ELCA)

                              David Strang.

                              --
                              Best regards,
                               Bob White

                              Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.
                              - Martin Luther King Jr.

                            • Dwight J. Penas
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 7, 2012
                                Actually, Hosanna! and Calvary, Golden Valley, are not member congregations of the ELCA.

                                Peace
                                Dwight Penas
                                Minneapolis
                                ____________________________
                                As I read the birth stories about Jesus I cannot help but conclude that though the world may be tilted toward the rich and powerful, God is tilted toward the underdog. -- Philip Yancey

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 7, 2012
                                  You'd think the Twin Cities pan-Lutheran periodical [Metro] could get it right!

                                  In or out of the ELCA, the number of large size Lutheran congregations would be unusual
                                  anywhere else.

                                  David Strang.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 7, 2012

                                    As I read the original post it didn’t say ELCA (or any other specific group), just “Lutheran.”

                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 7, 2012

                                      OOOOPPPPPSSS! Missed the note at the bottom (red-faced)

                                      George Carlson