Re: [liturgy-l] Excommunication

  • Tim TenClay
    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 1, 2001
      To whom it may concern...

      Within the Reformed Church in America, the liturgy of Excommunication
      (actually, it's not really a full liturgy - more like an elaborate
      statement) is a local event performed by the consistory (board) of the local
      congregation. The higher levels of church government only get involved
      should the excommunicatee (is that a word?) appeal up the judicatory (if
      they do, they have the classis, regional synod, and finally the general
      synod - whose decisions in judicatory are unappealable).

      I'm under the impression that the Christian Reformed Church in America (and
      Canada) (our nearest sister) requires Classis approval for an
      excommunication, which would be more akin to the Catholic approach, which, I
      believe, leaves excommuication in the hands of the bishop (although, this
      little Reformed boy isn't sure.)

      For us, Excommunication is ALWAYS with the hope towards the excommunicatee
      (there's that word again!) coming back into a state of repentance - in
      theory at least. To be honest though, one of my grandfather's was a pastor,
      the other an eler, my father is an elder, and I'm a pastor, and as of yet,
      I've never seen (or for that matter, heard of!) an excommunication of a
      "normal" parishoner. I know of one demittal, but then, that's a classis
      issue for us (since ordination to minster of Word and Sacrament is a classis
      issue.)

      I'll be out of town next week, but, if concerned parties would like copies
      of the RCA liturgy (statement) I can easily mail them out.

      Grace and Peace,
      `tim
    • Robert J. Riley
      Message 43 of 43 , Mar 7, 2001
        In the Original Message below, Thomas R. Jackson explains the Society of
        Pius X.

        What a small world. It turns out that the American district HQ of the
        Society of Pius X is just a few blocks from where I live, in Kansas City,
        Mo. No street address is given, but the building in the picture looks
        vaguely familiar, and I can scout it out. St. Vincent de Paul Church, where
        my uncle was buried from (in the 50's), is now one of the Society's
        "chapels". I had heard that it was a "LeFebvre" church, but I did not know
        how all the pieces fit together. The replies from various list members have
        been most illuminating. Thanks!

        Sincerely,
        Robert J. Riley