Santorum a "papist"?

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
      I must be just a secularized Canadian because the mix of Opus Dei and
      Mormons in the American election is baffling to me.

      Sunday's NY Times article on Santorum expresses some odd observations about
      Catholic liturgy:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/us/politics/from-nominal-catholic-to-clari
      on-of-faith.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

      "[St. Catherine of Siena] is known for its Washington luminaries ‹ Justice
      Antonin Scalia of the Supreme Court is a member ‹ as well as its spiritual
      ardor. Mass is offered in Latin every Sunday at noon ‹ most parishes have
      Mass only in English ‹ and each Wednesday parishioners take turns praying
      nonstop for 24 hours before a consecrated communion wafer, a demanding
      practice known as Eucharistic adoration."

      They make it sound like walking on hot coals!

      And can someone explain this bon mot from Garry Wills?

      "Garry Wills, a cultural historian and professor emeritus at Northwestern
      University, is among many Catholics whose touchstone is the Second Vatican
      Council from 1962-65, which opened up Catholicism to the modern era and
      proclaimed that the church is its people, not just the pope and his bishops.

      ³Santorum is not a Catholic, but a papist,² Mr. Wills said in an e-mail"

      Makes me glad that Canadians vote for new governments in six weeks and God
      never comes into it.

    • Lewis H. Whitaker
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
        It's baffling to forward thinking Americans, too!

        On Mar 4, 2012, at 4:58 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

        > I must be just a secularized Canadian because the mix of Opus Dei and
        > Mormons in the American election is baffling to me.
        >
        > Sunday's NY Times article on Santorum expresses some odd observations about
        > Catholic liturgy:
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/us/politics/from-nominal-catholic-to-clari
        > on-of-faith.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2
        >
        > "[St. Catherine of Siena] is known for its Washington luminaries — Justice
        > Antonin Scalia of the Supreme Court is a member — as well as its spiritual
        > ardor. Mass is offered in Latin every Sunday at noon — most parishes have
        > Mass only in English — and each Wednesday parishioners take turns praying
        > nonstop for 24 hours before a consecrated communion wafer, a demanding
        > practice known as Eucharistic adoration."
        >
        > They make it sound like walking on hot coals!
        >
        > And can someone explain this bon mot from Garry Wills?
        >
        > "Garry Wills, a cultural historian and professor emeritus at Northwestern
        > University, is among many Catholics whose touchstone is the Second Vatican
        > Council from 1962-65, which opened up Catholicism to the modern era and
        > proclaimed that the church is its people, not just the pope and his bishops.
        >
        > “Santorum is not a Catholic, but a papist,” Mr. Wills said in an e-mail"
        >
        > Makes me glad that Canadians vote for new governments in six weeks and God
        > never comes into it.
        >
        > Doug Cowling
        > Director of Music
        > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
        > Toronto

      • Sean W. Reed
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
          What is "forward thinking?"

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
            For what it's worth, Justice Scalia sometimes can be found at the Sung Extraordinary Form Mass at St John the Beloved in McLean, two parishes to the south of St Catherine of Siena in Great Falls, where his son is the pastor.  I go there about once a month.  The VG attendance if anything tilts to the younger side.  The liturgical schedules of the two parishes are similar, with both having 12 noon Latin Masses and Wednesday Eucharistic Adoration, although I'm not certain if the noon Mass at St Catherine of Siena is Novus Ordo or Extraordinary Form (it used to be the former when it was at 11).

            In a message dated 3/4/2012 5:12:37 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lhwhitaker@... writes:
            It's baffling to forward thinking Americans, too!

            On Mar 4, 2012, at 4:58 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

            > I must be just a secularized Canadian because the mix of Opus Dei and
            > Mormons in the American election is baffling to me.
            >
            > Sunday's NY Times article on Santorum expresses some odd observations about
            > Catholic liturgy:
            >
            > http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/us/politics/from-nominal-catholic-to-clari
            > on-of-faith.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2
            >
            > "[St. Catherine of Siena] is known for its Washington luminaries — Justice
            > Antonin Scalia of the Supreme Court is a member — as well as its spiritual
            > ardor. Mass is offered in Latin every Sunday at noon — most parishes have
            > Mass only in English — and each Wednesday parishioners take turns praying
            > nonstop for 24 hours before a consecrated communion wafer, a demanding
            > practice known as Eucharistic adoration."
            >
            > They make it sound like walking on hot coals!
            >
            > And can someone explain this bon mot from Garry Wills?
            >
            > "Garry Wills, a cultural historian and professor emeritus at Northwestern
            > University, is among many Catholics whose touchstone is the Second Vatican
            > Council from 1962-65, which opened up Catholicism to the modern era and
            > proclaimed that the church is its people, not just the pope and his bishops.
            >
            > “Santorum is not a Catholic, but a papist,” Mr. Wills said in an e-mail"
            >
            > Makes me glad that Canadians vote for new governments in six weeks and God
            > never comes into it.
            >
            > Doug Cowling
            > Director of Music
            > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
            > Toronto

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                liturgy-l-digest@yahoogroups.com
                liturgy-l-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Lewis H. Whitaker
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2012
              Forward: moving in a progressive, rather than regressive, manner.

              Thinking: using the skills of knowledge, reasoning, and thought.