Trikirion and Dikirion. WAS Film Footage of Paul VI

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2012
      In this video, breathlessly called the "abandonment of the tiara," there appears to be a trikirion and dikirion on the Papal altar. Did the west ever use these? I thought they were a peculiarity of the Eastern episcopate.

      Lew

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80372xyWcP4&feature=related

      On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:
      A fascinating Italian newsreel documenting Cardinal Montini taking
      possession of Milan Cathedral.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYD60PD67T4&feature=related

      Very interesting photos of his days working with centre/left student
      organizations before WWII, although the commentary appears to soft-pedal his
      anti-fascism (my Italian is better suited to restaurants). There's even a
      photo of him in a clerical suit: I never realized he had legs!

      On the liturgical side, there's film footage of his consecration as a bishop
      wearing the linen "bandaid" after his anointing. The possession ceremony is
      very grand with lots of ermine and El Greco flunkies.

      No wonder the end of Act One of "Tosca" is so popular amongst Italians.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         liturgy-l-digest@yahoogroups.com
         liturgy-l-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2012
        Re: [liturgy-l] Trikirion and Dikirion. WAS Film Footage of Paul VI On 2/25/12 4:57 PM, "Lewis Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:

        In this video, breathlessly called the "abandonment of the tiara," there appears to be a trikirion and dikirion on the Papal altar. Did the west ever use these? I thought they were a peculiarity of the Eastern episcopate.

               There are some Eastern elements which survive in the old papal mass, including Greek deacons who chant the readings and assist at the altar. Perhaps the candles are also relics of the ‘patriarchal’ mass.