Re: Advertising Mozart.

  • David J Strang
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012

      USA television has been saturated the past week or so by ads of the retailer,
      JC Penney, who is calling attention to the fact that it is giving up "sales"
      in favor of the "best prices all of the time" a la Wal Mart.

      The fairly lengthy ads are accompanied by sections of the Mozart Requiem,
      starting with the Introit, and then moving on to the Dies Irae and concluding with
      with the Lacryimosa, the latter traditionally being famous as the last known
      composition of Mozart.  (The rest of the Requiem was finished by other[s]).

      I suppose the point being made by JCP is that their old practice of frequent sales
      is being laid to rest, but I suspect this musical connection passes over the
      heads of 99% of those encountering the ads.

      I have dim memories of another religious text being borrowed for ads some 40
      years ago that featured Barbra Streisand singing a secular text over the top
      of the Bach/Gounod Ave Maria.

      David Strang.

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2012
        Re: [liturgy-l] Re: Advertising Mozart. On 2/1/12 6:24 PM, "David J Strang" <davidjstrang@...> wrote:

        The fairly lengthy ads are accompanied by sections of the Mozart Requiem,

        Several years ago there was an Apple or Microsoft computer ad that ran with the Mozart “Confutatis Maledictis” in the background.