Re: [liturgy-l] help with file access

  • John Dornheim
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
      I suppose that I could paste the liturgies in an email but felt that it
      might be too long of a post.

      John Dornheim
    • John Dornheim
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
        jonwest@... wrote:

        > I see the files but on both I get this:
        >
        > OOPS The requested file or directory is not found on the server.

        For some reason that is the case with all three of the files which I had
        uploaded. Perhaps i am doing something wrong?

        John Dornheim
      • Marnie
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
          This is the first time I've tried to access the files area of liturgy-l,
          and couldn't get anywhere with it. Do we have yahoo numbers, whatever they
          are, by virtue of belonging to the list? I tried creating a yahoo number
          according to the sign-in instructions, and got the response that I wasn't a
          member of liturgy-l. Instructions please!
          Marnie

          > Hello,

          > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the liturgy-l
          > group.
          >
          > File : /Paul%20and%20John
          > Uploaded by : john19@...
          > Description : Blessing of Union for two Gay men
          >
          > You can access this file at the URL

          > Regards,
          >
          > john19@...

        • Simon Kershaw
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
            Marnie wrote:

            > This is the first time I've tried to access the files area of liturgy-l,
            > and couldn't get anywhere with it. Do we have yahoo numbers, whatever they
            > are, by virtue of belonging to the list? I tried creating a yahoo number
            > according to the sign-in instructions, and got the response that I wasn't a
            > member of liturgy-l. Instructions please!

            If you have had an egroups user name then you can convert it to a yahoo
            user name. If you used the old egroups web site to access liturgy-l
            files or your liturgy-l subscription then this will be the case.

            You don't, IIRC, automatically have a yahoogroups id (or before that an
            egroups id) just because you are subscribed to the list, since you may
            have done it all via email, rather than via their web sites.

            There are some small occasional advantages to having an id since it
            allows you to set mail preferences etc quite easily. In general I find
            these rarely outweight the annoyance of having to enable cookies in
            order to use the site and then remember to disable them again
            afterwards.

            simon (cookie-hater)

            --
            Simon Kershaw
            simon@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
              Sorry, I'm starting a long way back here (huh?disabled cookies??) and need
              pretty explicit instructions..
              I've done everything they asked me to do re signing up/signing in, got yahoo
              username or id or something and tried again to access the file, but they
              still think I'm not on liturgy-l. How do they know? I'm giving them the
              same email address and pasword I always use, though my yahoo id/username is
              a new one I just thought up. This is a pest, but I suppose I might as well
              crack the thing now while I'm at it if you can help.
              Marnie

            • jonwest@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
                In a message dated 3/1/01 8:40:03 AM, jjh.hofland@... writes:

                << Dear Marnie and others,

                You're not the only one getting confused and irritated by trying to get full
                access to Liturgy-L's Yahoo website. It just ain't all that easy. Yahoo
                seems to go by the adage: If you can do it the hard way, why take the easy
                way.
                For the time being you can still >>

                I see the files but on both I get this:

                OOPS The requested file or directory is not found on the server.
              • Jan J.H.Hofland
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
                  Dear Marnie and others,

                  You're not the only one getting confused and irritated by trying to get full access to Liturgy-L's Yahoo website. It just ain't all that easy. Yahoo seems to go by the adage: If you can do it the hard way, why take the easy way.
                  For the time being you can still access the (former) e-groups website at http://www.egroups.com/group/liturgy-l which is still kept up to date. But sooner or later it'll be Yahoo only. So if you want to make use of the website, it's wise to convert now.

                  The following info comes from Yahoo help. Following all the steps should get you there. Yahoo requires a reserve e-mail address. You'll get the chance to sign in for a (free) Yahoo address - just make sure you don't check the box asking you to be kept up to date on their products if you don't like junk mail.

                  Jan

                  Jan J.H.Hofland
                  co-owner Liturgy-L
                  jjh.hofland@...

                  What does it mean to "link" my account?

                  Linking your eGroups account(s) associates your eGroups account(s) with a Yahoo ID.

                  Who should link their accounts?

                  Former eGroups users -- You will need to enter your eGroups email address and password, and either associate it with an existing Yahoo! ID or register for a new one.
                  If you just want to participate by email, you don't have to do anything to change the way you interact with the service.
                  If you just want to participate by email, you don't have to do anything to change the way you interact with the service.
                  If you want to access all of your Group's web features, simply follow the steps on our Yahoo! Groups Conversion Wizard.
                  Email-only users -- These are users who are receiving mail from a Yahoo! Group (groupname@yahoogroups.com) but who have never signed into the website to use the many web features of Yahoo! Groups.

                  Do I have to link my account(s)?

                  No. You only need to link your account if you need use the web site to manage your Group, or to access web features that are designated for members only by your Group owner. For example, email-only subscribers can read and post to their Groups without having to log in to the web site, so they won't need to link their accounts to a Yahoo! ID. However, those who normally post using the web form would have to go through the Conversion Wizard process.

                  I have multiple accounts with eGroups. Can I link them all?

                  Yes! Just click on the Link another account link at the end of the Conversion Wizard to link up to 5 email addresses to your Yahoo! ID.

                  What are the advantages of linking my account?

                  By associating multiple email addresses with your Yahoo ID, you can easily manage all of your accounts with one login. Now there's no more signing in and out to see your different subscriptions.

                  How do I use the conversion wizard?

                  If you currently have an eGroups account, and would like to use the web interface on Yahoo! Groups, you'll need to link your account to a Yahoo! ID using our conversion wizard by following these steps:
                  Get Started. Go to the conversion wizard.
                  Enter your eGroups password. If you currently access eGroups via the web, enter your email address and eGroups password. If you don't know your password, click on the link to have it sent toyou.
                  If you currently access eGroups via email only, and now want to take advantage of the web-based features, just enter your email address, and we'll send you an authorization code to use.
                  Enter your Yahoo! ID and password. Now you need a Yahoo! ID to associate your eGroups account with. Enter your current Yahoo! ID and password in the fields provided. If you don't have one, we'll click on "Register for a Yahoo! ID now" to be walked through the registration process.

                  That's all! You should see a confirmation screen that tells you the process is complete, and that your memberships have now been converted to Yahoo! Groups. From here, you can view your groups, convert another account, or go to the groups home.

                  I forgot my eGroups password, so I'm not able to use the conversion wizard. What do I do now?

                  Go to the conversion wizard. In the "Don't have an eGroups password? Forgot your password" box, enter the email address which you have used to sign into eGroups. We will mail an authorization code to that email address. Check your inbox for that message and follow the instructions contained in it. Continue using the conversion wizard to link your eGroups account to your Yahoo! ID

                  What if I mess up on the conversion process, e.g. link the wrong address to the wrong Yahoo! ID?

                  Go to the My Preferences page. (Make sure you are signed in as the "wrong" Yahoo! ID.)
                  Go to the "Email Accounts" section and click on the Edit button. Click on the "Remove" link for the address you'd like to link to another Yahoo! ID. The email address will no longer be linked to that Yahoo! ID.
                  Sign out and go back to the conversion wizard and follow the instructions in the conversion wizard to link the email address to the Yahoo! ID you prefer.

                • Pastor Robert White
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
                    On 1 Mar 2001, at 15:04, Jan J.H.Hofland wrote:

                    > The following info comes from Yahoo help. Following all the steps should
                    > get you there. Yahoo requires a reserve e-mail address. You'll get the
                    > chance to sign in for a (free) Yahoo address - just make sure you don't
                    > check the box asking you to be kept up to date on their products if you
                    > don't like junk mail.

                    You can use your existing email address as the alternate--as I read
                    it, the alternate address is for use in sending lost passwords,
                    purchase confirmations, and such like things you may not want
                    coming to your more public address.

                    Bob

                    + + + + + + + + + + +
                    You can't conceive, my child, nor can I or anyone,
                    the appalling strangeness of the mercy of God.
                    ------Graham Greene

                    Pastor Robert White
                    Christ the Redeemer Lutheran Church (ELCA)
                    863 Silliman Ave.
                    Erie, PA USA 16511-2060
                    814-899-3264
                    email: xrredeem@...
                  • Mary M. Gieseler
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
                      FWIW, the Anglodeacons net is having similar
                      problems -

                      mmg