Re: [liturgy-l] Lutheran Christmas Day Mass

  • John Seboldt
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 2, 2012
      On 12/23/2011 9:19 PM, Frank Senn wrote:

      One of the many benefits of living in Chicago is having WFMT.FM.  The station plays great liturgically-appropriate music for both Christian and Jewish festivals.  Both this morning and this afternoon they played portions of the Lutheran Mass for Christmas Morning ca. 1620 as realized by Paul McCreesh with the Gabrieli Consort, the Boys' Choir and Congregation Choir of the Roskilde Cathedral as performed in the cathedral in 1993.  The music is primarily that of Michael Praetorius with some organ variations of Samuel Scheidt and Johann Hermann Schein.  I think it's the most successful reconstruction of a historic Lutheran liturgy ever done.  A more rolicking rendition of In dulci jubilo at the sending (recessional) has never been heard, complete with the Elector's trumpets and drums and firing of cannons outside the cathedral.  There's nothing like having the resources of the state at your disposal for the liturgy.

      I sure some of the listeners were perplexed as to why Lutherans had a Mass, including a number of Lutherans.

      Frank C. Senn

      Inspires a number of reflections...

      The rendition of the Sanctus Hymn in that album is incredibly hair-raising.

      So many Lutherans have latched on a bit too much to the "Deutsche Messe" of Luther (a possible way to do it for small-town churches) that they forget he tended to value a big, more traditional Mass with all the trimmings.  Indeed, that was the norm in the principal churches.

      It's good that the statement of the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians points to this interplay of complex concerted music with the simple congregational song - see http://alcm.org/about/worship-statement.php , paragraph 3d.

      Many good classical radio stations do a good job of seasonal sacred music, WFMT being one of my favorites via the Internet. Minnesota Public Radio/American Public Media are also generally good, though I was shaking my head at one program by one of their hosts, "Advent Voices." Here's the playlist: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/11/29/advent-voices/ - and you can even play it and hear how her commentary had hardly anything to do with the real meanings of Advent, beginning with mentions of Midnight Mass and the Kings Nine Lessons service!!!!!!! She made some lame replies to an e-mail I sent, pointing her to Bach's cantatas and the English Advent services for a bit more of a sense of what Advent was about - something about the mood, not the content. FAIL.

      Ah well... blessings to you all!

      John in Milwaukee