Newt rebaptized?

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
      From today's NY Times ...

      "Newt Gingrich sat beneath the soaring dome in the largest Roman Catholic
      church in North America, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the
      Immaculate Conception in Washington, and listened as a choir that included
      his wife sang at an evening vespers service for Pope Benedict XVI and 300
      American bishops. That is the moment, three years ago, that Mr. Gingrich
      says he decided to become a Roman Catholic, after having been born a
      Lutheran and joining the Southern Baptist Church in college. In 2009, Mr.
      Gingrich was baptized in the same Catholic parish church on Capitol Hill
      where Senator Robert F. Kennedy once attended noonday Mass and sometimes
      assisted the priest as an altar server ..."

      Was his Lutheran baptism, presumably as a child, or his Baptist baptism,
      presumably as an adult, deemed invalid? Or is this just the NY Times
      getting it wrong.

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
        I know the space, since I saw the liturgy in question on TV and in fact I
        was received/confirmed there by Cardinal Wuerl on October 9 as a part of the
        first US Ordinariate parish moving to the Catholic Church. The space was
        actually the (quite large) crypt chapel - unless there were two services of
        vespers when the pope was in town, the other being in the main church
        upstairs.

        Your point is a good one - Rome would re-baptize only if there were some
        deficiency in the earlier rite, such as a question about it having been
        Trinitarian. But I don't think that the Lutherans and Baptists are into funny
        stuff. So it is more likely that Gingrich was confirmed rather than
        baptized in 2009.

        In a message dated 12/17/2011 11:53:33 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        cowling.douglas@... writes:

        From today's NY Times ...

        "Newt Gingrich sat beneath the soaring dome in the largest Roman Catholic
        church in North America, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the
        Immaculate Conception in Washington, and listened as a choir that included
        his wife sang at an evening vespers service for Pope Benedict XVI and 300
        American bishops. That is the moment, three years ago, that Mr. Gingrich
        says he decided to become a Roman Catholic, after having been born a
        Lutheran and joining the Southern Baptist Church in college. In 2009, Mr.
        Gingrich was baptized in the same Catholic parish church on Capitol Hill
        where Senator Robert F. Kennedy once attended noonday Mass and sometimes
        assisted the priest as an altar server ..."

        Was his Lutheran baptism, presumably as a child, or his Baptist baptism,
        presumably as an adult, deemed invalid? Or is this just the NY Times
        getting it wrong.

      • Lewis H. Whitaker
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
          A better question would be, did he get his marriag(es) annulled to marry Callista?

          Lew

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
            That is a legitimate question.

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
              Or did he not need annulments because those marriages were contracted before he became a Roman Catholic?  I'm just asking.  I don't know.

              I didn't realize Newt was born a Lutheran. Maybe his Gingrich ancestors were from the Salzburgers who settled in Georgia.in the 1730s.  There are some pretty old Lutheran congregations in the Savanna area.

              Given his penchant for pushing the ethical envelop, I'm surprised he didn't stay with the "grace alone" group.  Maybe he felt a need for a more legalistic religious community to help him rein in his appetites.

              Frank C. Senn

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
                I think he needed the Catholic Church to marry his former mistress.

                I think that marriages outside the Catholic Church still need to be annulled.

              • SJZiobro@cs.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
                  If Newt;s previous marriages were only civil marriages he did not need an annulment. If his first marriage was in a Christian church he would have needed to have gone through the annulment process, but not for his second marriage, because, whether or not it was in a Christian church it would not be considered as even potentially having the sacramental character.

                  Stan

                • SJZiobro@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
                    If there were no record of either of Newt's baptism prior to becoming a Catholic then, to remove any reasonable doubt, he would have received a conditional baptism. I wouldn't trust the New York Times on this one.

                    Stan

                    A better question would be, did he get his marriag(es) annulled to marry Callista?

                    Lew

                    On Dec 17, 2011, at 8:53 AM, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

                    > From today's NY Times ...
                    >
                    > "Newt Gingrich sat beneath the soaring dome in the largest Roman Catholic
                    > church in North America, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the
                    > Immaculate Conception in Washington, and listened as a choir that included
                    > his wife sang at an evening vespers service for Pope Benedict XVI and 300
                    > American bishops. That is the moment, three years ago, that Mr. Gingrich
                    > says he decided to become a Roman Catholic, after having been born a
                    > Lutheran and joining the Southern Baptist Church in college. In 2009, Mr.
                    > Gingrich was baptized in the same Catholic parish church on Capitol Hill
                    > where Senator Robert F. Kennedy once attended noonday Mass and sometimes
                    > assisted the priest as an altar server ..."
                    >
                    > Was his Lutheran baptism, presumably as a child, or his Baptist baptism,
                    > presumably as an adult, deemed invalid? Or is this just the NY Times
                    > getting it wrong.
                    >
                    > Doug Cowling
                    > Director of Music
                    > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                    > Toronto

                  • Lewis H. Whitaker
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
                      When one is wealthy and high profile, the rules need not apply.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
                        I saw another account that showed that he had been confirmed, not baptized,
                        at St Joseph's on Capitol Hill, DC.

                        In the case of their having been two baptisms (presuming that the above
                        report was correct), my guess is that he was properly baptized in the Lutheran
                        Church as an infant but then the Baptists, noting that it was not an
                        action coming from his personal decision, insisted that he be baptized again.
                        Not too long ago I heard that this had happened with someone who had been
                        baptized as an infant in the Catholic Church but then joined a Bible Church.

                        wrote:

                        > From today's NY Times ...
                        >
                        > "Newt Gingrich sat beneath the soaring dome in the largest Roman Catholic
                        > church in North America, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the
                        > Immaculate Conception in Washington, and listened as a choir that
                        included
                        > his wife sang at an evening vespers service for Pope Benedict XVI and 300
                        > American bishops. That is the moment, three years ago, that Mr. Gingrich
                        > says he decided to become a Roman Catholic, after having been born a
                        > Lutheran and joining the Southern Baptist Church in college. In 2009, Mr.
                        > Gingrich was baptized in the same Catholic parish church on Capitol Hill
                        > where Senator Robert F. Kennedy once attended noonday Mass and sometimes
                        > assisted the priest as an altar server ..."
                        >
                        > Was his Lutheran baptism, presumably as a child, or his Baptist baptism,
                        > presumably as an adult, deemed invalid? Or is this just the NY Times
                        > getting it wrong.
                        >
                        > Doug Cowling
                        > Director of Music
                        > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                        > Toronto

                      • Kevin Riley
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 17, 2011
                          All churches that believe in 'believer's baptism' would require someone
                          baptised as an infant to be baptised when joining as an adult. Some
                          seem to have no problem with frequent rebaptisms for any and every
                          reason, while others take the Bible's words about 'one baptism' a little
                          more seriously. Most baptist churches I know are reluctant to
                          re-baptise anyone who was baptised by immersion as a adult unless they
                          had clearly left the Christian faith, and even then some prefer a
                          profession of faith rather than actual baptism.

                          Kevin

                        • SJZiobro@cs.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 18, 2011
                            I'd trust the account relative to his receiving Confirmation. But if there were a baptism it could only be conditional, and that on account of some serious, reasonable doubt about his earlier baptism.

                            Stan

                            wrote:

                            > From today's NY Times ...
                            >
                            > "Newt Gingrich sat beneath the soaring dome in the largest Roman Catholic
                            > church in North America, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the
                            > Immaculate Conception in Washington, and listened as a choir that
                            included
                            > his wife sang at an evening vespers service for Pope Benedict XVI and 300
                            > American bishops. That is the moment, three years ago, that Mr. Gingrich
                            > says he decided to become a Roman Catholic, after having been born a
                            > Lutheran and joining the Southern Baptist Church in college. In 2009, Mr.
                            > Gingrich was baptized in the same Catholic parish church on Capitol Hill
                            > where Senator Robert F. Kennedy once attended noonday Mass and sometimes
                            > assisted the priest as an altar server ..."
                            >
                            > Was his Lutheran baptism, presumably as a child, or his Baptist baptism,
                            > presumably as an adult, deemed invalid? Or is this just the NY Times
                            > getting it wrong.
                            >
                            > Doug Cowling
                            > Director of Music
                            > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                            > Toronto

                          • George Carlson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 18, 2011
                              I realize that time and place make for differences, but some 15 years’ ago when my oldest daughter “swam the Tiber” her parish church in England did baptize her and after much questioning by me she could not identify ANY verbiage (or even commentary from the priest) that made it “conditional” in spite of her having her baptismal record from Christ Church Cathedral (Episcopal) in St. Louis. Now I suspect it was the local priest, perhaps motivated by a sometimes less than cordial relationship between Romans and Anglicans in the UK, or perhaps because her baptism was “in the colonies.” Either way, I was particularly put off by that action.

                              In omnibus pax,

                              George Carlson

                              St. Paul’s (TEC)

                              Murfreesboro, TN

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 18, 2011
                                George,

                                As long as the Episcopal priest used the baptismal formulary accepted by Rome, then there is no reason for a baptism, because it would be a rebaptism. I would agree with your concerns here.

                                Stan