Music Engraving Software for Liturgical/Hymnal Use?

  • Father Robert Lyons
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2011
      Good evening,

      I am wondering if anyone is aware of a suitable piece of software that one
      might use to put service music and harmony-line only music into a service
      book and hymnal project. I have looked at several programs, and so far I
      can only find software that includes harmony and accompaniment...

      I am wanting some settings of the Liturgy and a ton of public domain hymns
      to be set up in a matching format instead of trying to compile a set of
      mismatched stuff.

      Rob+

      --
      Father Robert Lyons
      Bargersville, IN

    • R Drake
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2011
        Fr. Rob -

        I use Noteworthy Composer, which lets you choose whether to use a single staff, or a standard two-staff piano/hymn score, or a vocal/accomp score (among others).  You can notate directly, or you can import a Midi file and then clean up the timing if necessary (also splitting parts if necessary to delete unwanted lines).  You can also transpose to whatever key you wish.  Once you've arrived at your desired result, you can copy it and insert in a Word document such as a bulletin.  Here's the link: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/

        This does all I need it to do (small scale composition such as descants, creating practice files for my fellow choristers, and pulling materials from Midi files for my husband's voice lessons) without all the mixing/looping/fine settings for sound you get (and pay for) with the big packages like Finale.

        Hope this helps - Robin

        Robin Drake
        Herndon, VA

        "Happiness is a how, not a what; a talent, not an object." - Hermann Hesse

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2011
          On 12/4/11 9:43 PM, "Father Robert Lyons" <fatherroblyons@...> wrote:

          > I am wondering if anyone is aware of a suitable piece of software that one
          > might use to put service music and harmony-line only music into a service
          > book and hymnal project. I have looked at several programs, and so far I
          > can only find software that includes harmony and accompaniment...

          FINALE is powerful program but a steep learning curve. Both it and SIBELIUS
          allow you to create templates so that you can quickly create scores with the
          same formats.

        • Michael T. Hiller
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
            Finale is good. I've used it for years.

            The Rev. Fr. Michael T. Hiller Phone: 415.468.1001 Cell: 415.999.8606
            Email: priestly@... Website: http://www.hillerleiturgia.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
              BTW, one of my pet peeves since becoming a Roman Catholic is encountering
              hymns for congregational singing where only the melody line is shown. I
              prefer to sing the bass line, and for that matter different people's voices
              come down at different points and the musical experience is enriched by
              four-part harmony, but yet hymnals and service sheets used by Catholics don't
              appear to provide anything other than the harmony line.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
                Ahh.... the honeymoon was short lived.

                On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:10 AM, <dlewisaao@...> wrote:
                > BTW, one of my pet peeves since becoming a Roman Catholic is encountering
                > hymns for congregational singing where only the melody line is shown.  I
                > prefer to sing the bass line, and for that matter different people's voices
                > come  down at different points and the musical experience is enriched by
                > four-part  harmony, but yet hymnals and service sheets used by Catholics don't
                > appear to  provide anything other than the harmony line.
                >
                > David
                >
                > ---------------------------
                > David Lewis
                > dlewisaao@...
                >

                > In a message dated 12/4/2011 9:43:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                > fatherroblyons@... writes:
                >
                > Good  evening,
                >
                > I am wondering if anyone is aware of a suitable piece of  software that one
                > might use to put service music and harmony-line only  music into a service
                > book and hymnal project. I have looked at several  programs, and so far I
                > can only find software that includes harmony and  accompaniment...
                >
                > I am wanting some settings of the Liturgy and a ton of  public domain hymns
                > to be set up in a matching format instead of trying to  compile a set of
                > mismatched stuff.
                >
                > Rob+
                >
                > --
                > Father Robert  Lyons
                > Bargersville, IN
                > *www.saintbonifaceonline.org*  <http://www.saintbonifaceonline.org>
                > * * *
                > "Too many people try to  conform the Christian message to themselves instead
                > of embracing the  Christian message and letting it conform them to Christ."
                >

                > [Non-text  portions of this message have been  removed]

                > To write to the  moderators, please email:
                > liturgy-l-owner@yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups  Links

              • Pastor Art Hebbeler
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
                  Finale also has a free version that you can use to learn and test. Not as powerful of course, but still handy.

                  Art Hebbeler

                  The Rev. Fr. Michael T. Hiller Phone: 415.468.1001 Cell: 415.999.8606
                  Email: priestly@... <mailto:priestly%40batnet.com> Website: http://www.hillerleiturgia.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
                    MuseScore is a free excellent program; pretty much as powerful as Finale or Sibelius.
                    have a look for it.

                    William Renwick
                    renwick@...
                    School of the Arts