Liturgy in Concert: Charpentier - Midnight Mass for New France, 1725

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2011
      Students of the liturgy and Baroque music may be interested in this concert
      recreation of a ³Grande Messe² in New France in the reign of Louis XIV.

      Tallis Choir of Toronto
      Saturday, December 10
      7:30 pm
      St. Patrick¹s Church
      McCaul & Dundas
      Information: http://tallischoir.com/

      Marc-Antoine Charpentier: Midnight Mass for New France, 1725

      A Baroque High Mass as it may have been celebrated in Québec on December 24,
      1725

      Motet before Mass: "Magnus Dominus" - Anonymous, 17th century Quebec
      Noël before Mass: "Une Jeune Pucelle ­ The Huron Carol"
      Verset: "Noël en Trio, Ritornelle" - Michel-Richard Delalande
          Noel: "Une Jeune Pucelle" - Jean-Francois Dandrieu
          Verset: "Noël, Double" - Nicolas Lebegue
      Noel: " Jesous Anahatonia" - Jean de Brébeuf
      Verset: "Noël en Trio, Double" - Michel-Richard Delalande
      Motet before Mass:" Inviolata Integra" Anon, 17th century Quebec
          Verset: "Fugue", No. 279 - Livre d¹Orgue de Montréal' - Jean Girard
      Motet: "Inviolata"- (Latin)
      Verset: "Fugue", No. 281 - "Livre d¹Orgue de Montréal" - Jean Girard
          Motet: "Inviolata"  (Aboriginal Abenaki)
          Verset: "Bourée, David et Jonathas" - M-A. Charpentier

      Introit: "Dominus Dixit Ad Me" - Gallican Plainsong
          Fauxbourdons, 17th century Quebec
      Kyrie: " Messe de Minuit", H.9 - Marc-Antoine Charpentier
      Organ Noel after First Kyrie: "Joesph est bien Marié " - André Raison
      Organ Noel after Last Kyrie: "Une Jeune Pucelle" - Nicholas Lébegue
      Gloria: "Messe de Minuit"- Marc-Antoine Charpentier
      Collect: "Deus qui hanc"- Gallican Plainsong
      Epistle: " Apparuit gratia" - Gallican Plainsong
      Epistle Sonata: "Récit", No.230, "Livre d¹Orgue de Montréal" - Jean Girard
      Motet for Gradual: "Salve Puerule", H.414 - Marc-Antoine Charpentier
      Sequence:"Sanctae Familiae " - Charles-Amador Martin
          Fauxbourdon: Anonymous, 17th Century Quebec
       Gospel: "Exiit edictum" - Gallican Plainsong
      Verset for Gospel: "Noel: Quand le Sauveur" - Jean-Francois Dandrieu
      Credo: " Messe de Minuit" - Marc-Antoine Charpentier

      Interval

      March for Offering: "Rondeau, Te Deum" - Marc-Antoine Charpentier
      Noël for Offertory: "Laissez Paitre" - Marc-Antoine Charpentier
      Motet for Offertory: "O Dulcis Amor² - André Campra
      Motet for Offertory: "Canticum in Nativitatem Domini", H.314
          - Marc-Antoine Charpentier
      Preface: "Vere Dignum" - Gallican Plainsong
      Sanctus: " Messe de Minuit" - Marc-Antoine Charpentier
      Elevation Motet: "Adoro Te" - André Campra
      Benedictus: "Messe de Minuit" - Marc-Antoine Charpentier
      Lord¹s Prayer: " Per Omnia Š Pater Noster" - Gallican Plainsong
      Agnus Dei: "Messe de Minuit" - Marc-Antoine Charpentier
      Motet for Communion: "Paratum Cor Meum" - André Campra
      Post-Communion: "Dominus vobiscum" - Gallican Plainsong
      Dismissal: "Ite Missa Est" - Gallican Plainsong
          Deo Gratias: "Prélude", #233, "Livre d¹Orgue de Montréal" - Jean Girard
      Royal Acclamation: "Domine Fac Regem", H.285 - Marc-Antoine Charpentier

    • James
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011
        Sounds like you and your friends are going to have a bang up time!

        I wish someone would recreate the music of the California Missions for a special performance, at, say, Carmel or Santa Barbara. I think that years ago a Fr. Weber compiled a book of such music.

        I notice that there are any number of CDs of music from South America, some liturgical, some secular.

        Rdr. James Morgan

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011
          On 11/13/11 10:37 PM, "James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

          I wish someone would recreate the music of the California Missions for a
          special performance, at, say, Carmel or Santa Barbara. I notice that there
          are any number of CDs of music from South America, some
          liturgical,

          The Choir of Westminster Cathedral recorded, of all things, a lavish
          polyphonic setting of the Office of Terce from 16th century Mexico.
          Evidently, the office was part of Las Mananitas, the morning devotion to Our
          Lady of Guadalupe.

        • Michael Thannisch
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 14, 2011
            Mexican Classical music is dominated by Benedictine style mass and other religious settings.  Some truly wonderful stuff out there.

            Shalom b'Yeshua haMoshiach   +Mar Michael Abportus mjthannisch@... Pastor, Congregation Benim Avraham http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/
            http://patriotstatesman.com/
            http://laportemorganspointshoreacresnews.webs.com/
            http://santoeastcemeteryassociation.webs.com/