Re: [liturgy-l] Candle lighting at weddings

  • Sandford Maclean
    Message 1 of 68 , Oct 20, 2011
      Why mothers lighting these candles? Why not fathers, or don't they matter in family dynamics anymore? I see an agenda here if only mothers are involved.

      In Christ,
      Sandford MacLean

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 2011-10-20, at 14:14, karen marshall <deardollydenton@...> wrote:

      > I haven't been ordained anywhere near as long as most of you on this list so bow to your greater wisdom on most matters liturgical I guess I have however asked mothers to light candles and from those the couple have lit a single candle. I have done this twice in five years, on both occasions for pastoral reasons which have been discussed with the couple beforehand. On both occasions it appears to have offered an acknowledgement of complex relationships and a beginning of some kind of release.
      >
      > Liturgy does fulfil a pastoral function and it seemed that this was appropriate on both occasions.
      > Sadly on the second occasion the brides mother walked off with an expensive beeswax candle. Hey bo. That's life I guess.
      > Karen
      > Leeds
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On 20 Oct 2011, at 02:38, "Lewis H. Whitaker" <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Plus ca change ....
      > >
      > > I'm fairly certain few pay attention to me anyway

      > > On Oct 19, 2011, at 8:43 PM, Frank Senn <fcsenn@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Well, Lew, looks like our list members have only experienced Catholic uses of the unity candle.
      > > >
      > > > Frank C. Senn

    • Ian Gomersall
      Message 68 of 68 , Nov 9, 2011
        Thanks for that. There I think John Paul II is a fine example to bishops
        and church leaders.

        Ian