Re: [liturgy-l] vesture and customary for interim assisting bishop

    Message 1 of 75 , Oct 4, 2011
      Excellent points, Art.

      Determining if the bishop is "entitled" to carry the crozier or whether the
      Altar Guild should put out a seventh candlestick really starts to sound
      extremely minor here.

      And no one will answer the question as to what happens if he does these
      egregious errors. Is that perhaps because it is of such minor significance
      that no one -- outside of this list -- really cares?

      Lew

      On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Pastor Art Hebbeler <
      pastor@...> wrote:

      > Lew,
      >

      > Back when I was on active duty, the quality management theme du jour was
      > hot
      > (MBO, TQM, EIEIO, etc). We used to say, "When the processes becomes holy,
      > the process has become broken."
      >

      > Liturgical practice seems to be in the same vein (or vain, take your pick).
      >

      > In the case being discussed, I think function is more important that title.
      > The bishop in question will be functioning as the diocesan. The chair is
      > not
      > vacant, and it is not being filled by a suffragan or coadjutor. The people
      > will expect to see the bishop visit with mitre and crozier. Comfort the
      > people, avoid distraction, and wear/carry the darned things.
      >

      > Last I checked, the bishop who does this will not condemn himself or his
      > flock to eternal damnation.
      >

      > How about we be more worried if the man can preach a cognizant,
      > theologically-sound sermon?
      >

      > Art

    • Sean W. Reed
      Message 75 of 75 , Oct 7, 2011
        Lew -

        I suspect it is rather like the US Supreme Court and pornography, when it was alleged some years back, that they can't define it, but they know it when they see it.