RE: [liturgy-l] vesture and customary for interim assisting bishop

  • Pastor Art Hebbeler
    Message 1 of 75 , Oct 4, 2011
      Lew,

      Back when I was on active duty, the quality management theme du jour was hot
      (MBO, TQM, EIEIO, etc). We used to say, "When the processes becomes holy,
      the process has become broken."

      Liturgical practice seems to be in the same vein (or vain, take your pick).

      In the case being discussed, I think function is more important that title.
      The bishop in question will be functioning as the diocesan. The chair is not
      vacant, and it is not being filled by a suffragan or coadjutor. The people
      will expect to see the bishop visit with mitre and crozier. Comfort the
      people, avoid distraction, and wear/carry the darned things.

      Last I checked, the bishop who does this will not condemn himself or his
      flock to eternal damnation.

      How about we be more worried if the man can preach a cognizant,
      theologically-sound sermon?

      Art

      Message 75 of 75 , Oct 7, 2011
        Lew -

        I suspect it is rather like the US Supreme Court and pornography, when it was alleged some years back, that they can't define it, but they know it when they see it.