Re: Re: [liturgy-l] use of older liturgies

  • Ian Gomersall
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2011
      Use of BCP varies across the country, rural England generally prefers the
      traditional language 1662 rite, and several cathedrals will have it as an
      option for some celebrations (but not principal ones). Evensong is generally
      1662.

      Its important though to point out that Common Worship has traditional
      language versions of its Eucharists, and some parish churches use these in
      preference to 1662.

      Although 1928 was never officially authoriozed it was extensively used, and
      indeed, as David says bits of it found understandably found their way into
      Common Worship.

      Interstingly 1662 has a different calendar to CW and so, rather like western
      RCs there are two calendars in use.

      Ian
      --
      ian.gomersall@...
      Fr Ian Gomersall

      Do visit our current eBay book auction for parish charities:
      access via: http://bit.ly/dot8ZD Books on evil, saints, afterlife and more!

      Do visit our church blog: http://stchrysostoms.wordpress.com/

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2011
        I attended a 1662 Eucharist at Bath Abbey. I'm glad I did, because now I
        never need to do it again. The traditional language is beautiful, but the
        structure and the order of the rite is not.

        I wonder how many who long for the "Good Old Days" long for something more
        along the lines of the 1928 BCP rather than the 1662?

        Lew

        On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Ian Gomersall <ian.gomersall@...>wrote:

        > Use of BCP varies across the country, rural England generally prefers the
        > traditional language 1662 rite, and several cathedrals will have it as an
        > option for some celebrations (but not principal ones). Evensong is
        > generally
        > 1662.
        >
        > Its important though to point out that Common Worship has traditional
        > language versions of its Eucharists, and some parish churches use these in
        > preference to 1662.
        >
        > Although 1928 was never officially authoriozed it was extensively used, and
        > indeed, as David says bits of it found understandably found their way into
        > Common Worship.
        >
        > Interstingly 1662 has a different calendar to CW and so, rather like
        > western
        > RCs there are two calendars in use.
        >
        > Ian
        > --
        > ian.gomersall@...
        > Fr Ian Gomersall
        >
        > Do visit our current eBay book auction for parish charities:
        > access via: http://bit.ly/dot8ZD Books on evil, saints, afterlife and
        > more!
        >
        > Do visit our church blog: http://stchrysostoms.wordpress.com/

      • James
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2011
          Ian, I note your frequent book auctions. Why are you getting rid of all that good stuff?

          Rdr. james morgan olympia wa usa
          on the other side of the globe...