Re: Virtual doodling

  • James
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 16, 2011
      Shredding! Then composting! Useful in worm bins.
      Earth to earth, dust to dust.

      Rdr. James Morgan

      --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Noel Stoutenburg <mjolnir@...> wrote:

      > John Schultz wrote:
      > > On the lectern in my church the lessons are printed out using a
      > > computer, in large type. Does that mean these sheets of paper should be
      > > buried instead of recycled?
      > This is an interesting point, and one that I hadn't thought of when I
      > posed the original question. Upon consideration, I'd say that ideally
      > the sheets upon which lessons are printed should be saved, and reused in
      > subsequent iterations of the three year cycle. After a number of uses,
      > when these sheets have deteriorated, become incomplete, or become
      > unusable in the same way as the copies of of the Bible to which I was
      > refer, so that they need to be disposed of, then the same considerations
      > would apply to them.
      >
      > Since ordinary paper is made from natural products, and breaks down in
      > the soil, in my view, burying paper can be form of recycling. I would
      > note that there is a certain level of uncertainty about the destination
      > of any particular part of the the recycling stream. What you contribute
      > might wind up in the "post consumer waste" content of copier, or it
      > might wind up as a useful product of lesser stature--most toilet tissue
      > is 100 percent post consumer waste. But even if the sheet containing
      > the lessons (or the recycled paper from a Bible) winds up as copier
      > paper, there is no way to know to what use the recycled copier paper
      > will be put.
      >
      > Maybe sheets containing lections, and the paper parts of Bibles to worn,
      > or to incomplete to be serviceable should be composted, and the compost
      > ultimately used in the gardens of the church.
      >
      > ns

    • Lewis H. Whitaker
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 16, 2011
        So figure out when an Orthodox priest is about to croak, then stick one in his coffin.

        On Aug 17, 2011, at 12:35 AM, "James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

        > In the Orthodox Church, priests and bishops are buried holding a copy of the Holy Gospels.
        >
        > Rdr. James Morgan
        >
        > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Lewis Whitaker <lhwhitaker@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I think Jewish practice is to bury worn copies of the Torah.... and if I'm
        >> not mistaken, some groups allow Christians to bury Bibles with them.
        >>
        >> Burning seems like a reasonable concession, as does any "reverent" disposal.
        >>

        >> But that's just me.
        >>
        >> Lew
        >>

        >> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 3:58 AM, Noel Stoutenburg <mjolnir@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> Friends,
        >>>
        >>> It came to pass that yesterday I found a copy of the Bible. This
        >>> particular copy was in bad repair; it had gotten wet at some point, had
        >>> molded, and was deformed. And I though of a copy of the Bible I own,
        >>> which is quite old, has not been properly cared for, and is missing
        >>> pages, though this latter volume has not gotten wet, nor has it molded.
        >>>
        >>> Now I know of the ways prescribed in some circles for disposing of such
        >>> copies as the one I own, and the one I found, but suppose the members of
        >>> a congregations were invited to tender volumes in like condition, and
        >>> that all these collected volumes were disposed of by burial, say after
        >>> the solemn afternoon liturgy on Good Friday.....
        >>>
        >>> And if not that, then what would you consider appropriate?
        >>>
        >>> As the subject says, just a virtual doodle.
        >>>
        >>> ns
        >>> virtual doodler

      • Ormonde Plater
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 17, 2011
          Does that include deacons, who are often depicted in icons holding the book
          of gospels?

          Ormonde Plater

          In the Orthodox Church, priests and bishops are buried holding a copy of the
          Holy Gospels.

          Rdr. James Morgan

        • dcnscottelliott
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 17, 2011
            --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, "James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

            > In the Orthodox Church, priests and bishops are buried holding a copy of the Holy Gospels.
            >
            > Rdr. James Morgan

            Are deacons buried holding anything?

            Scott Elliott
            Deacon, ECUSA
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 17, 2011
              On 8/17/11 9:21 AM, "dcnscottelliott" <deaconse@...> wrote:

              Are deacons buried holding anything?

              The check?

            • James
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 17, 2011
                Deacons are usually buried in their vestments, holding a censer.
                Rdr. James

                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 17, 2011
                  On 8/17/11 6:53 PM, "James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:

                  Deacons are usually buried in their vestments, holding a censer.

                  Smokin'!!

                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 17, 2011
                    There's no reason why you couldn't tuck the printout into a lectionary or
                    Bible of "suitable size and dignity."

                  • RichLouS@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 17, 2011
                      In my congregation they've been printing out the lessons in easy-to-read
                      large print for a whole bunch of years. It really helps as the Lectors get
                      older and the print seems to get smaller.

                      Besides, it helps prevent a recap of Alice Tinker's reading on "The Vicar
                      of Dibley" where she misread the 's' for 'f', i.e., ye are the falt of the
                      earth and fainted, and he shall be thy.........

                      Richard in Baltimore

                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 17, 2011
                        ...SUCCOUR! He shall be thy succour...

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 17, 2011
                          That's what we do. Large-print lections (that can be marked or pointed
                          for chanting) are placed inside our dignified epistle and gospel
                          books.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 18, 2011
                            --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...> wrote:

                            > On 8/17/11 9:21 AM, "dcnscottelliott" <deaconse@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > Are deacons buried holding anything?
                            >
                            > The check?

                            That is SO unlikely, on SO many levels...!

                            Scott
                          • Ormonde Plater
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 18, 2011
                              I can't wait!

                              Ormonde Pater

                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 18, 2011
                                Orthodox hold cremation by censer to be an abomination and a desecration of the body.

                                Hee hee, you funny guy.

                                rdr. James

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 18, 2011
                                  And it's absolutely, positively forbidden..... except in Japan, where it's
                                  allowed.

                                  It's kind of like the rules about divorce. Divorce is absolutely positively
                                  forbidden by Orthodox Canons. One may NOT get divorced. Except in the cases
                                  where you can.

                                  Gotta love it.

                                  Lew

                                  On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM, James <rdrjames@...> wrote:

                                  > Orthodox hold cremation by censer to be an abomination and a desecration of
                                  > the body.
                                  >
                                  > Hee hee, you funny guy.
                                  >
                                  > rdr. James
                                  >
                                  > --- In liturgy-l@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Cowling <cowling.douglas@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > On 8/17/11 6:53 PM, "James" <rdrjames@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Deacons are usually buried in their vestments, holding a censer.
                                  > >

                                  > > Smokin'!!
                                  > >
                                  > > Doug Cowling
                                  > > Director of Music
                                  > > St. Philip's Church, Etobicoke
                                  > > Toronto

                                • James
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 18, 2011
                                    In or late Olympia mission we had a rather dignified three ring binder in which the Epistle, with its attendant Prokeimenon and Alleluia verses were affixed (and suffixed) for ease of the reader.
                                    This meant there was no flipping of pages in a big book, which some would have had trouble with.

                                    In the Orthodox Church, reading the Epistle can get rather complicated where there are more then one reading and more psalm verses before and after to be proclaimed. My desire was to make it easier on the person doing the reading, and it seemed to work well.
                                    I also used 14 pt type, which was fine for the readers.

                                    Rdr. James